F150 Pickup Bed Removal.....

All, I have been working on my 1990 F150 4.9 Lariat, with the last weekend covering a new Heater Core, new hose and belts, new cap,rotor,plugs,wires, Air Filter, oil and filter, and even Head lights.

During this week I hope to figure out why both of my electric windows broke on the same day - (motors work but windows no longer go up or down - not on track?) and why the power locks do not work. And the Dash lights are no longer lighting. I believe the windows, are the cause of my 5 year hanging over them that same day but not 100% sure. Any ideas on the locks or lights?

I am planning out the bed removal of my 1990 F150 Pickup over the weekend/early next week, and the reason for the post.

The reason for the removal is the following; Gas Tank Leaks - getting a new tank,straps, and Fuel Filters Rust problem (?) has effected bumper so it sits funny and hangs down - The truck is structurally sound but the bumper and pull hitch is currently not usualable. I have a welder if things get really ugly. Need the speedometer fixed - Broken cable? - which I believe why the cruise is not working - Speed Sensor?. Also the e40D transmission is leaking and needs fluid change- I believe cooling line is bad or its leaking out the pan. Worse case I rebuild the trans, redo seals, and/or get a good used yard one. Change the rear Shocks Oxygen sensor - Its on the bottom side of the truck :) Running Lights and trailer lights are not right (got ripped off when the bumper started to hang over.

Anyways this truck was given to me about 4 yrs ago by my wifes uncle who used it recreationally for pulling a pop up camper and yard stuff nothing major. Mileage is still fairly low especially for age but he nor I have done anything to it other then good consistent oil changes. I have used it the past 4 yrs quite a bit on the construction of my garage and renovation of my home. It runs like a top. So now I am sinking some money into it as I am a stickler about maintence of vehicles. Actually its not as bad as it sounds, but my goal is to get it back on the road 100% and maybe triple the mileage thats on it. I need a vehicle to pull my popup camper/small fishing boat and do my yard stuff now as well. :)

Anyways finally to most of my questions; Does the above reasons mentioned for removal seem like a good reason to remove the bed?

Is there any better ways to get to all these parts time wise?

Also, I have removed a bed on a new F150 2006 truck and remember it being fairly simple.

Is the 1990 similar and is there anything I need to watch out for?

I have seen posts about bed bolts being a pain, can I drill/grind these out somehow if I have problems?

I do not like the idea of cutting them with a grinder/torch underneath a truck that I know has a bad tank.

Thanks for the help, Chris

Reply to
Solomon_Man