Fan Belt types??

I have an old1976 Corvette. Traditionally I have had a 'solid' fan/ alternator/PS belt on it.

I see now that I am being offered ones that are 'notched' or have 'teeth' on them.

What to use and buy? What is the idea behind the notched belts? Less material = lower cost? Heating/cooling is better? Less slippage?

I'm sort of the opinion 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but more and more I see these as replacements.

Input anyone????

TIA, BSA

Reply to
BSAKing

PS: It seems to me that the notched belts are noisier.

Reply to
BSAKing

hls

Thanks, but the first link for me was dead.

The second, although interesting, uses refrigerator compressor belts as an example. Not sure if the cost, noise, etc provides any benefit over a regular belt for a car. I cannot say I noticed any extended life.

Reply to
BSAKing

The link I opened gave some figures for improved efficiency in the neighborhood of 2-4% over the standard V-belt.

I would expect a notched belt to be noisier than a solid one, wouldnt you?

But, if a company can pick up a few percentage points of economy, at whatever level, without incurring any cost, there is no decision to make.

Reply to
hls

Notched are generally a bit more efficient with power transfer. They also stay cool a bit better due to the increased airflow the notches allow. They also flex better and allow tighter curves as a result.

Reply to
Steve W.

Notched on the inside gives better cooling.notched on the outside gives better flexibility

Reply to
m6onz5a

976 Corvette. Traditionally I have had a 'solid' fan/

What I am decoding from all of this: On a 30+ year old car with a 4 barrel carb and original engine, it makes no appreciable difference aside from noise level and heat transfer. On that basis I'll vote for a solid belt I guess.

thanks all! Interesting info.....

Reply to
BSAKing

BSAKing wrote in news:077822a3-13e1-49e2-a588- snipped-for-privacy@e8g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

old1

you will never be able to hear the diff in noise level by ear with the hood shut. get the notched belt. It will work better on worn pulleys. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff