Fan Clutch

Hello All,

I have a 93 Mazda B2600i with what I believe is a defective fan clutch. Over the period of time that I have had this truck, the fan would run at a high speed for the first 10-20 seconds after engine start, then slow down to a relatively slow speed during operation. I am familiar with the concept of how the clutch system work and I believe I have a liquid type in this vehicle. I had never seen the fan go into high speed after that.

Lately however, once the truck gets up to normal temperature (normally at highway speed), the fan will go into high speed and stay there until the engine is shut down and completely cools. It seems as if it is over compensating and consequently the engine does seem to be running a bit cooler than normal. This is hurting my fuel economy (which isn't great to begin with ;-), making a lot of noise and reducing HP.

Is a failure like this consistant with this type of clutch? I have not detected any leakage of fluid or excessive play in the bearings.

Many thanks,

Darryl

Reply to
DAP