Fan only works on full blast !!

Hi there.

I'm a bit stumped here.

Got a Chevrolet Cavalier 1999 and I just started to use the heater the other day to clear things. It works but only on the 3rd setting which is full blast. The first two settings, the fan doesn't come on at all??? Very odd.

Does anyone have any idea's?

Look foward to any replies

Andrew

Reply to
andrew123

Fan resistor block. While you're at it, lubricate the fan motor because if it's binding, the added current draw will damage the block again.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Resistor the same thing happened to my dads truck last winter, and to my car 2 years ago. i think it is pretty much a dealer part.

Reply to
Markr1001

I actually have the same problem in a 1995 Ford E250 cargo van I bought.. The A/C and the heat fan only works on the highest setting. Also, I notice there is an excessive draw on the battery charge as well as the running temperature of the vehicle with the fan running. ie the charge indicator begins to drop and the temp gauge begins to increase. Could these problems be related? Any idea how easy/difficult and what the cost is for me to replace the fan resistor block myself?

thanks Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior

I had the same problem in my 85 Chevy Caprice. My low tech solution was to rapidly switch the dial back and forth. That fixed it !! Apparently some corrosion was built up on the low and medium settings, and the rapid swiping back and forth scraped it off, and opened up the electrical connection again at those terminals.

Reply to
Caprice85

Thanks very much for the replies. Saved me a lot of hunting around.

Will attack the thing on Sunday

All the best

Andrew

Reply to