Fastest Street Legal Cars..

Hi all...

just a trivia question here...

Lets say you want to buy a street legal car.....

What are the fastest cars for 0 to 60mph commercially available?

And I suspect there are a couple of cost classes too....from the six figure range to the around 60k range.....to the 30k range....

Anybody got any rough perfomance and costs off the top of their head?

Rough numbers are fine....its just that being a vwbug and junker driver my whole life i dont have ANY feel for the finer cars of life :)

take care

Blll

Reply to
BllFs6

Pick up a copy of Road & Track magazine. They have a summary of all the cars they have tested in the past couple of years. It lists accelleration numbers as well as price.

----------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

On the lower end of the price range is the Subaru WRX STi - new for

2004. About $30,000 to $32,000. 300 HP, 0 to 60 in 5.4 sec. if memory serves me right. This is basically their rally car and is being made in limited numbers. For alot more money the 700 series BMWs are pretty fast with H.P. ratings in the upper 400's ! Just my 2 cents. Of course there are some exotics out there that are faster, but for most of us they are just a dream.

Tom D.

Reply to
Tom D.
2003 Ferrari Enzo MSRP $643330 + Destination Charge $1350 660 HP @7800 RPM (6.0L V12) 657 lb-ft Torque @ 5500 RPM Maximum speed 217,5 mph (Estimate) 0-62 mph 3,65 s 0-400 m 11 s 0-1,000 m 19,6 s

BllFs6 wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

From this morning's paper. 0 to 200 mph in sixty seconds.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Mike Behnke

Oh come now... everyone one at the club has a Ferrari. The Bentley is at least distinctive.

Reply to
Jimmy

thanks guys

Man, you can buy ALOTA vw bugs for that kinda cash :)

take care

Blll

Reply to
BllFs6

You mean stock right....cause modified is a whole new ball game...

Reply to
Uncle Dodo

exactly... a 11 second quarter mile does not impress me that much (although a 200MPH top speed is pretty freakin' cool) I bet I could build an 11 second 1/4 mile car for a lot less than the sticker price of one of those exotics... of course, you might miss a few things like power steering, power brakes, A/C, a stereo, an interior, your hearing, etc. etc. etc...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yeah

I just want some basic info on "normal" street legal cars....

thanks again for the info guys

take care

Blll

Reply to
BllFs6

Dollar for dollar I think Corvettes are also pretty good deals if you're just looking at 0-60. I'm fairly sure they range in the 40K - 50K price range and have 5 - 6 second 0-60 times but I might be off. I also heard the recently discontinued V8 Camaro/Firebirds gave you great acceleration for the dolllar, probably > 300 HP for < 30K. Supposedly you trade some refinement and handling for those big USA muscles though, compared to foreign rivals. Unfortunately I've never driven any of the above so it's all hearsay/internet reading for me. Compared to the WRX someone else mentioned, those bad boys will probably give a lot more low end torque but not get as much of a kick at high RPM. Also, the WRX might be AWD which is useful beyond leaving granny behind at a stoplight. When I can afford the insurance maybe I'll get a toy like one of those machines.

Anyway it sounds like you could probably waste a lot of time at consumerreports.com.

Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

The Neon SRT4 is very hard to beat in the dollar/accerlation ratio. Sub 6 0-60 and 1/4 mile at over 100mph.

------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

"Dave C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ccrma-gate.stanford.edu:

I'd *try* to buy a mclaren F1.

In March 1998, the F1 confirmed that it is the fastest production car in the world, achieving a record top speed of 240.14mph

Reply to
Death

But you'd be driving a Neon :-)

Reply to