Fed told GM to drop Pontiac or no bailout.

I like brakes that actually do something when needed. Fuel injection, an engine that will easily go over 100K miles, and plugs that do not foul are nice too. I have had enough old British junk for one lifetime, so I could not pass up something British that actually works.

Reply to
T0m $herman

Holy shit. There's a dealer like that in Villa Park? We can't seem to support anything close to that in Las Vegas, where you can ride all year. One of the biggest reasons I didn't by the Triumph I was looking at is that I was afraid the only local dealer would close, and it did shortly after I was looking. I would have probably had to go to LA for service.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Well, there are 10 million people or so living within 50 miles of the shop. For me, this is one of the two closest Triumph dealers - both are about 9-hour round trips.

Reply to
T0m $herman

Sheesh - that's even longer than LV to LA.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 14:42:10 -0600, "T0m $herman" wrote:

Nice. I got interested in bikes when Triumph, BSA and Norton were top names. Never bought a bike though, and only rode one over 100 cc. Think it was a Honda 250. Just don't have "bike" in me I guess. Good to see Triumph has made a comeback from the dog days.

Funny how people get tied up with their cars and bikes. My kid was far from spoiled or full of himself, but damn, his '93 Corsica was the cat's meow to him. His first car, and it was unbelievable how he tricked it out, culminating by converting it from auto to a 5-speed Muncie trans with floor shift. Did everything himself. I thought it was kinda crazy, and childish, but left him alone since he was having fun doing all that work. Only thing that pissed me off was he took over my garage and made such a mess of it I wouldn't go in there. So I just had him do all the work on my cars to compensate. A couple times he got himself in too deep. Wife would tell me she heard him crying, so I'd pitch in. One time he was trying to salvage the Corsica after he front-ended it. Couldn't get some framing around the radiator straightened. He was banging on it with a hammer. I looked at it and told him to go get the big C-clamps I had recently picked up cheap at a discount store. Had some lengths of 2" angle iron, and had him hacksaw them to size, then we used the angle and clamps to draw the framing straight. That was my "Don't give up, there's always a way" lesson. The only other time was when my wife picked up the phone, then came to me saying the kid was stranded 3 blocks away and didn't have tow money. He was afraid to talk to me. I had told him not to convert that Corsica to a stick because it was a bad idea. He did it in a couple days without me knowing. Got a few blocks from home and a halfshaft fell out. He'd spent all his money on the boneyard trans and all the other shit he needed to do the conversion. Anyway, I drove over to where he was stranded. He was almost crying. Called a tow truck and got the Corsica back in the driveway. Told me he could put the auto back in, but he thought he just needed a longer halfshaft. I gave him the go ahead. A couple days later wife tells me she heard him crying in the garage. I go out there and the halfshaft he got at the bone yard was too long. Remember, he's in high school and working besides this crap. So he says he's upset because he failed and has to put the auto back in. I said "Bullshit. You just don't know anything about halfshafts." No way I was going him fail after doing all that work. So I go inside and make a few calls, and give the kid the address of a halfshaft guy. That guy made up the correct halfshaft for about 40 bucks and a day later the kid was tooling around in his 5-speed stick Corsica. That was my "If you don't what the f*ck you're doing, admit it, and find somebody who knows what the f*ck they're doing" lesson. Taught him a few other things, but now it's mostly him teaching me.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Triumph (motorcycle - the car division was split off just before WW2) never completely went away, but during the time from the Meriden Cooperative collapse in the early 1980's to the opening of the Hinckley factory around 1990, production was outsourced and was limited to a few hundred units per year.

This guy was very annoying, since he would freak out if someone walked too near his car, but would leave his crap all over inside our fleet trucks, including spilled soft drinks and doughnut frosting on the seats.

I would have pulled it in with a rope - or even pushed it if it was only

3 blocks and not uphill.
Reply to
T0m $herman