Feds open new defect probe into Toyota Brake Line Failures and Spare Tire Separation

"There have been 15 reports alleging the under body mounted spare tire separated from the rear crossmember and five reports alleging broken brake lines at the proportioning value located on the driver's side of the rear crossmember at upper shock mount."

john

I know cost cutting is important, but how far can cheap get you?

Reply to
john

Oh man, that's what they get for hanging the spare tire with a floor mat!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Very interesting. My 1987 has the spare tire under the truck but it is held up with a very heavy steel crossbar that you place into the center hole of the tire rim and is held tight by a very heavy duty chain. I worried about that big tire coming loose until I saw how robust the tire holding mechanism is. Wonder where Toyota went wrong between 1987 and 2000.

Reply to
al

Well, you could buy a GM or Chrysler and find out .

Reply to
hls