Final Price to Repair Gran Marquis Frame etc

I recently posted ere about my 98 Gran Marquis accident that bent the frame. The damage caused the driver side front wheel to bend in at the top out at the bottom. The frame was bent near the upper control arm mounting surface. The impact also caused the spindel and steering knuckle to bend.. Bottom line:

Replaced : (1) upper control arm + upper ball joint (2) spindle, steering knucke, and wheel beering (3) Straighten Frame + align front end (4) pull out the front fender to make it look a little better

Total Cost : $1032.00

The control arm and spindle were new OEM parts because of lack of availablity for used so I'm told)

All in all I feel that I got a good deal on this.

I didn't invest money to mak the car look pretty again, just safe to drive. Perhaps driving a dented car will make my daughter be more careful when she takes a left off aside street.

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Reply to
Paul

Ditto. Good to hear an update. Might help somebody else.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

This I find hard to believe. Just too many CVs out there. Not cost effective paying someone to remove them from a car in a salvage yard and still have a used part, that I could see.

Reply to
Brent

Depends on the cost of the new parts. I know that I wouldn't bother finding a junkyard control arm for a VW Rabbit, for example, because they always end up getting bent up by people placing jackstands in the wrong place and they're something like $30 each new anyway and then you don't have to spend the time to grind the rivets off to remove the old ball joint. In that case the new part is actually more economical - just wave a spray can at it, press in some bushings, and go. I wonder if something like that didn't happen here.

nate

m wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel