Fix-a-Flat Makes a Tire Un-patchable?

A day after I used the Fix-a-flat to drive home, I took the tire to Costco (where I bought) to have it patched. After the clerk prepared paper work to patch the tire, I thought I should let them know that I used fix-a-flat as the label suggests. As soon as she heard fix-a- flat, she said the tire is no longer patchable because the patch won't stick. Does this make sense? I read the label on the spay can, and nowhere it mentions a tire becoming unpatchable after using the product.

Reply to
panabiker

I have used this product for emergencies on a number of occasions, both in my and my familys personal cars, and for friends. I have never had anyone give me this story before.

They have wanted to know if Fix A Flat had been used BEFORE they start the repair because the inflatant in this product has been a flammable hydrocarbon gas. Demounting a tire containing this sort of gas needs to be done somewhat carefully.

There may be patching systems which would not respond well unless the tire were dismounted, cleaned, and properly patched, but I feel you did not get a very good answer.

Reply to
<HLS

I am also thinking that they just didn't want to clean the inside of the tire. Maybe it is a lot of extra work and maybe they would want too much money for that or are just plain lazy (I have no idea). Either way, patching a tire is very easy (witha plug) and you should always just do it yourself.

Reply to
scott21230

Suppose the tire has steel mesh (or whatever it is called) and Fix A Flat flammable hydrocarbon stuff still inside of the tire.The tire plug ream tool is made of steel and usually it takes a lot of muscle power to use that tool and it could cause a spark.Even if the tire is flat, is there a chance it might explode? A few months ago I was at a used tire shop getting a good used tire on a wheel for a spare wheel/tire.The guy's aircompressor wouldn't seat the bead of the tire.He squirted some starting fluid inside of the tire and then he threw a lit match at the tire.BOOM! instant bead seat.Would it be dangerous if I ever need to have that tire plugged or removed? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The other issue is that many of the fix-a-flat products are explosive, and have a tendency to blow up and kill people who are working on tires. As a result, most folks won't even TOUCH tires that have that stuff in them.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

WOW!!!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

After reading a few replies here, I called Costco Tire Center and asked for clarification if there is a written document stating that they won't repair tires with Fix-a-Flat. The manager went and took out some manual. It seems that the manual specifically cites "toxicity of the chemicals used in fix-a-flat or similar products" as the reason for not having their employees repair the tire.

Reply to
panabiker

The gases are not toxic, but the propane (or mixed) ones are potentially flammable. This poses NO problem, so long as the goober who is demounting the tire takes adequate precautions...mainly, do not smoke or have an open ignition source when demounting such a tire.

Remove the freaking valve core and let the pressure out. If you are paranoid, flush it a couple of times with compressor air. DO NOT SMOKE as if the ACS and common work protocols would not have already addressed this issue.

The chances that you would have a problem even if you didnt follow the protocol are small, but it is total BS that the use of Fix A Flat makes a tire unpatchable...

Reply to
<HLS

It does, however, piss off the tire guys, because to do a proper repair they need to clean all the goo out of the inside of the tire so a) the patch will adhere correctly and b) the tire will balance correctly.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Im sure it does piss them off, Nate... Having to report to an unemployment office, and apply for food stamps, might piss them off more.

It is not a technological problem. It is an attitude problem.

Reply to
<HLS

I guess my point was I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if a tire guy suggested not to use fix-a-flat except in dire emergencies because of the above. And they might charge you 2-3x the normal rate if you do, because of the extra time involved. That's not an attitude problem, that's just the economics of the situation.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I understand. A tire guy might prefer that you not use such a product but if you dont like green apples, you'd better not shake the tree.

The economics also say that, if your wife or daughter come out into a parking lot and find a flat tire, it is probably cheap to use Fix A Flat and drive to a competent tire repair center than to stay there and call a wrecker, or a tire service, etc.

It is simple BS that a tire that has been inflated with Fix A Flat is not patchable. Some tires, regardless, are not patchable, but the use of a temperary inflation product does not make them unrepairable.

What did Costco want? To sell a new tire? If so, that is blatant fraud.

Nothing against you, Nate, and I understand your point of view.

Reply to
<HLS

OOPS.. please correct that to be "temporary"....a typo

Reply to
<HLS

Blame that typo on your keyboard like I always do. Costco is a Chinese commie based outfit. Many years ago some cars came equiped from the factoy with an air compressor mounted somewhere down by the transmission/clutch assembly and there was a length of air hose stored in the trunk of the cars.There was another little shift lever on the transmission/clutch assembly.Simply have the engine running and the transmission in neutral gear, attatch the air hose and flip that little lever and Presto, air up the tires. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Those formulas were outlawed years ago. now they are all water-based.

Don

Don

That's the way Mexicans do it, down in Baja

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

I would think that simple economics would dictate that you use the spare tire.

Reply to
scott21230

Aww what's that guy's name, Granville? Granville and Dawg.I used to read his articles in auto magazines years ago.I think he isn't around anymore.He used to go way out in the boonies with his vehicles.He told some really good stories about how to fix things. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You have a wife or daughter, and suggest that;>)

Reply to
<HLS

Correct, as usual, Don. The present formulation of Fix A Flat claims to be non flammable but contains fluorocarbons and aromatic solvents. Earlier versions did contain propane, I think, and maybe even earlier versions might have contained Freon type chlorofluorocarbons. I can't really remember the sequence, if I ever knew.

The warning on the can says "Advise the professional of product use. Deflate tires containing Fix A Flat in well ventilated areas".

So while there are potential hazards, fire and explosion are apparently not among them.

Reply to
<HLS