flat spot on tire

A nail gave my RR tire a flat yesterday. I have a road hazard warranty but the dealer said he could do nothing because there was a single spot on the tire, not more that about 5 inches in diameter, where the tread was completely worn off. The dealer said he had never seen anything like it and I must have "bad struts." I knew this was nonsense and later when I read the warranty I saw that I am supposed to be covered for the tire "having been 'run flat' as a result of normal road hazard."

In thinking about this I thought that what may have happened is the tire was so flat that the wheel did not turn in the couple of 100 yards that I drove to pull off and the spot was ground into the tire. Is this what "run flat" means and is it plausible?

RC

Reply to
Raymond Cruz

Yes, you are correct.

The $tealer was living up to his nickname just fine.

Mike

Mike Romain

Many things are possible. Many things are NOT probable. I have the feeling that you have never had a flat tire before. Tires and their wheels keep turning even when flat. They don't stay flat on one side only. If what they said about the flat spot is true, then the shock/strut on that wheel was completely gone. You should have felt the intense vibration, wheel hop, and lack of control while driving. On the other hand, you should have felt the tire going flat due to escaping air from the nail and stopped the vehicle. What you said just does not add up. Is this a troll post?

Reply to
« Paul »

When folks hit the brakes to slow down, the metal rim on the road has no traction so it slides allowing the brake to stop that one wheel's rotation. This is one cause for vehicles spinning out sideways and rolling after getting a flat.

I have seen it and I have 'flat spotted' a tire after a flat.

Now if it is a front tire with the engine weight on it it is more likely to keep rolling, but not for sure.

Mike

Mike Romain

Well, maybe if you dragged it a mile it could be true. If you know your vehicle and that's the only thing that happened is the flat, I'm believing that did it. Even if you had teens driving the vehicle and locking the wheels, the other tires would also be affected. If you do have teen drivers, check the other tires.

Reply to
Al Bundy

It would be more useful if your purpose in newsgroups was to be helpful rather than "cleverly" sarcastic. I didn't feel the tire going flat because it apparently picked up a nail that deflated it during a 4 hour period that I was parked and I noticed it was flat after moving a short distance. I then had to make my way to a safe spot.

I don't feel I need to comment on the number of flat tires I've had in 42 years of driving and mostly doing my own mechanical work.

Although the dealer tried to stonewall me on this problem, I have since called the manufacturer's national number and they accept the idea of the flat spot being created after the nail did its work. They don't make my size tire anymore (185/70R13) but they said they would send me credit based on the remaining tread depth on the tire.

Thanks to Mike for his helpful answer.

RC

Reply to
Raymond Cruz

You are welcome. The flat spot also could have been caused over time by the nail letting water in or physically snapping a belt which can separate the tread so you get a bubble and then a worn in flat spot.

That is also a valid warranty fix.

Mike

Mike Romain

This is very interesting. The flat spot was very close to a nail that's still in the tire. Thanks again.

P.S. This is the original poster responding. I'm neither Ray nor Tom - it's just that I use different e-mail aliases on different accounts.

Roger (that's my real name!)

Reply to
Tom Nodelay

Right. My real name is Al too. You're such a nice guy that doesn't want anyone to notice.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Is the tire tread worn away in the same spot that the nail punctured the tire?

Reply to
John S.

OP, take a digital photo of the thing and post it to a binary newsgroup. Then give us the URL. Playing this guessing game is getting old very quickly.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Right. This Ray, Tom, or Roger or whoever the hell he is just wants to play games. He's probably leaving out some of the story behind why they turned down the warranty on his tire hoping someone here will provide rationale for him going back to them.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Are you lost in a time warp or do you just not know how to read a thread?

The flat spot was caused by tread separation where another nail punctured the tire likely breaking a belt or letting water in and the maker honored the warranty.....

Mike

Mike Romain