Flat spot on tire - 94 Civic

Our '94 Civic keeps wearing a flat spot on the right front tire. Just one flat spot. As long as I rotate the tires around frequently it's bearable, but if I let it go too long, then we get this whop-whop-whop sound, and there is a very noticeable flat spot.

What could be causing this? I had the alignment done recently, but I don't think that fixed it. It's getting rather annoying. Thanks for any tips.

Craig

[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL]
Reply to
Craig Williams

atec_77

Actually, whatever tire is in the right front gets the flat spot - I have rotated two of them on the rear.

Reply to
Craig Williams

Could it be that that wheel is locking up when breaking heavily?

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I don't know what braking heavily is. Brakes last forever with me. So I really don't think it is locking up.

Reply to
Craig Williams

Odd... A bad shock usually leaves more than one cupped looking flat spots. Any chance that brake is grabbing and flatspotting the tire prematurely? Some Yokohama's turn to the consistency of thick jam during a hard braking.

Craig Williams wrote:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reminds me of a joke I heard once,the punch line went like this-- Daygo through mud and daygo through snow.But when daygo flat, daygo whop,whop,whop.

Simmons Academy of Free Speech

Bill Simmons

Reply to
atec_77

Not necessarily. The disc my be cracked so that the wheel always locks in the same position. I am sure that he would notice. It s a long shot.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Re-read what I said. If you take the tire off the hub and re-mount it 90 degrees out, and the disc is cracked, it will lock in the same position but the flat spot on the tire won't be there. It'll wear a new one. Yes, it's a long shot but if that were the case, it should wear a new flat spot.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

You are right and my brand of coffee is going to be changed ;)

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Someone switched out your regular with Folger's Crystals!!! The hunt is on!

Reply to
Bruce Chang