flat tired antiques

I've got a 1970 Chevy Malibu I need to unload soonest, and since the Pittsburgh vintage car thing is going on I just might succeed.

When we winch cars with all flat old tires up onto a flatbed, how bad is that on the rims?

Oh, and the original owner, Sig Hammer, invented the machine that found the oil that made muscle cars more affordable, so I'd like to think someone would appreciate the thing.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

Try putting some air in them if you can unless the bead is broken.

Stock rims probably won't get hurt unless you drive on them and hit a pothole. Custom rims I'd try to keep them riding on the rubber and keep them off the cement etc.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Its worse on the tire sidewalls, IMO. If one goes slow and keeps the wheels straight, I've seen people drive on flats for a few hundred feet (to get off the road). As long as the tire beads stay on, the tires will protect the rims. But the tires might get cut up.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Crap rims, no problem. OEM "sport" rims, I wouldn't try it.

Green, 307, 4 door, not running... that's parts in the form of a '70 Malibu that doesn't even roll. Someone may appreciate Dr. Sig's name on the title, but they might be closer to Houston than Pittsburgh. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman