Flooding Carb/Backfire? (was Ford Duraspark II question)

Still trying to figure out what's going on with this car and I may have multiple problems. In earlier posts, I was chasing ignition as the problem. The main symptom is that the car doesn't want to start when cranking, but fires once you let go of the key and hits a couple of time, maybe starting. I removed the lid to the air cleaner and found everything wet with fuel. I left the lid off to watch and when I let go of the key and it fires, fuel blows out of the vent on top of the carb and a fog of fuel sprays up out of the carb throat and hits the bottom of the hood.

The last 2 nights, I took the lid off and started the car. On the first try, it doesn't start and fires when letting go of the key and sprays fuel up and out. On the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... tries, it pretty much fires while cranking as it should. I interpret this as my hard start problem has been mainly caused by flooding (not sure why it still fires when letting go of key when flooded, but what do I know).

Looking for suggestions. Is it common to puff air out the carb when it fires after letting go of the key? If not, what causes this? Is it common for fuel to be blown out of the carb when this happens? Would a blown power valve cause this? (Oh yeah, this is a 1970 351c with a Holley 4bbl, vac secondaries)

I need to rebuild the carb anyway, so I will make sure the baffel didn't fall off that covers the vent and check the powervalve, but would like to know if these symptoms point to something like timing out of whack (timed by ear as the balancer has slipped) or maybe stuck valve or something. It seems to run OK once started.

Many thanks and sorry for the long post. bb

Reply to
bobby

As far as the flooding, backfiring in the carb and slow ignition- You're on the right track if you're going to rebuild it. Check that the float is operating correctly. That's the most likely thing. I just went through the same thing you're going through and it took about three days of constant tinkering due to the float, timing and points but would have only taken a few hours if I would have gone straight to the float.

Reply to
raindrop