fly-by-wire

remember all that bleating about fly-by-wire throttles supposedly getting stuck open? i'm not a big motorcycle guy, but i did some work on a friend's suzuki bandit, and i was interested to note that that thing has an interesting fail-safe mechanism on its electronic throttles

- a second "traditional" cable operated throttle plate. and i further understand that this layout is common on modern fly-by-wire motorcycles.

it's an interesting concept because electronic throttle is usually about managing the opening process [except on automatics], so the closing process can be controlled instantaneously by the manual throttle, and the opening effectively controlled by the electronic one.

unless there's something i've missed, i'm thinking there's no reason that this configuration shouldn't work on a car. something to consider as a design option if there's another shameful political-not-mechanical shakedown of a car manufacturer in the future.

Reply to
jim beam

Do motorcycles have cruise control?

If you are implementing cruise control using the fly-by-wire throttle, the overriding mechanical throttle will make things more difficult.

On a bike, as a dead-man's throttle, so to speak, they are anticipating the driver to be holding the mechanical throttle open. The electronic one handles the ECM controls, traction control, etc.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

excellent point!

indeed.

Reply to
jim beam

Back when the master brake cylinder had only one chamber, and breaking any brake line meant loss brake power in all four wheels, our 52 Hudson had both mechancial and hydraulic brakes operated by the same brake pedal.

Well, cars have 4 wheels and motorcycles only two. That's probably the problem

Thanks for the post and the info. .

Reply to
micky

I don't ride, but it sounds dangerous even if it works.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:jatsmv$l6f$1 @dont-email.me:

why would you think it is any more dangerous than a car??? and yes they have it and it works fine. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Like I said, I don't ride. Cruise control allows lowering your concentration level, and if I rode I'd want to concentrate.

I have a friend whose level of concentration while driving is definitely lower than mine. If he simply goes downhill, he gets way over the speed limit before he notices. I don't know which of us is more normal, but I tend to focus more.

So on a bike I would want to be more focused than the car drivers all around me.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes, and if he's a member of one the post-baby boomer gens he's probably texting and wearing headphones at the same time ;-). Sincerely, from a member of a generation that votes and collectively still has some common sense,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

Man, you got him all wrong!

Reply to