Fogging windows

News==----

#1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups > ---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- Hide quoted text - >

If you all had read my original comment on my particular Chevelle - it HAD NO DEFROST - as in: THE ORIGINAL OWNER DID NOT ORDER IT AS AN OPTION AT THAT TIME. The Chevelle's defrost wasn't just "not working" - it wasn't ORDERED on my particular example!!!! And besides, I have seen cars of more recent vintage with icy buildup on the inside of the glass. So I don't buy this presence/absence of a defrost mode horseshit as the culprit.

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

I think the compressor on my '64 Olds kicked on in defrost mode, but my '76 Impala did for sure. I used to pull the connector on the compressor in the winter, since I didn't wanted it running. I was in defrost mode nearly all winter, and I never needed the de-humidification. I had at least a couple cars that would develop ice on the inside of the windshield. They were leakers that would get wet/damp carpeting. That's why that happens. Doesn't have to be real wet either. The moisture will sublimate out at night and for some reason reform as ice on the windshield.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Every single car I have ever seen that didn't have a working defroster has had the problem you describe. Where do you think the ice goes that you scraped off the windshield every morning? How you think your car ended up with no defroster is irrelevant.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

I think RV supply stores sell 12 Volt hair dryers.Something like that could be used to defrost windows. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That's an excellent idea. Don't you live in Arizona?

Reply to
Steve Austin

Nope, didn't happen, sorry. A defrost mode has never been an 'option' in any vehicle since long before the 70's, that's for sure. Even a yearly safety inspection back in the 70's required a working defrost to pass up here in Canada when I worked doing them.

Your issue was more likely a dead defrost mode and likely wet carpets. It is amazing how much water can come in through a tiny rust hole in a floor board or as you surmised, any leak any place like door or window seals and carpets hold a 'lot' of water.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Actually the "Heater Delete" option was available right up until 77. RPO C48 heater delete Very possible for an early Chevelle to have been ordered that way.

Reply to
Steve W.

OK, learn something new every day...

Did that also include no defrost fan? Heater is one thing....

It was illegal to drive a car 'on the roads' here in Canada with no working defrost.

Was that a race option or something?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

They still had defrost according to:

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

I remember many years ago when heaters and radios in cars and trucks were optional equipment. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Not really, you could order them without heat or radio and other "luxury" items as a cost saving measure.

However it was also part of many of the COPO orders.

The package included no heater core, blower fan, hoses, ductwork and block off plates for the firewall and a plate that covered the area on the dash where the heater controls would go.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hate to say it but that book is wrong. They even demonstrate it themselves. Notice how they state that the option included plates to block off the firewall and dash? Then they say that there were plugs installed on the water outlets to the heater. Then they say that the heater core was listed as the same part? Not possible since the option deleted the heater, the heater housing and all the ducting was gone.

I had a 68 Nova COPO (Gibbs #34 which I NEVER should have sold) That car was basically ordered as a "production vehicle" only to appease the race officials. If you looked under the dash there was a LOT of room since all the extra crap was gone. No defroster or heater, no radio, no carpet padding and no extra trim. It was NOT a car for cold weather. Of course with the big block in the front and an experimental (TH-400) trans it was a handful on dry pavement.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yep, For years many of the items that folks think of as "standard equipment" was an extra cost option. Want side window glass, that was an option, standard was roll up clear plastic. Wipers? Yep just reach up and grab this lever and move it to wipe the glass. What you want a heater, sure we just need to run this gas line in and show you how to light it... I think the foreign vehicles kept those as optional items longer than the domestics though. I know VW had gas heater options in the Beetles and the other air cooled vehicles they made.

Reply to
Steve W.

I own an old South Wind heater.I bought it at a scrap iron yard about thirty years ago, I hang on to just because I like old auto accesories.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I am not a "regular" in this group, but I am an ASE/MT, and I hope that I can help.

I don't know where "Rogers Pass" is located , but sound kinda nice... sorry you had problems there.

First off, let us not jump to conclusions. It MAY be your evaporator drain, but I think not. (could be, but maybe NOT).

You said something like (and I am NOT quoting) ... "heavy rain and snow was coming down, over this "Rogers Pass"... Is that right?.... ok let's move on....

What happened, happened. Let's look at a few things.......

First. This is Autumn and I ASSuMe (assume) that the leaves are falling off the trees were YOU are, as the same they are here (in Va). These leaves will fall onto a parked car, just the same as on the ground, CLOGGING the cowl area, and not allowing fresh air to enter the vehicle. (The "cowl" is that grill-type area under the wiperblades). You (may)need to remove all leaves there. Pull the wiper blade up and remove the junk.

Second. A brand-spankin'-new car (van) has not had leaves that have been "dropped" all over it, per Mother Nature, BUT these leaves do BUILD-UP over the years. They could, over time, end-up clogging the manufacture "designed" drain areas. You may have to loosen an inner fender skirt (or2) to remove all the junk/debris... depending on where the exit is located, (usually from cowl towards fender skirt).

Third. Did you know that cars (vans) from the early/ mid-90's have filters that are JUST for the interior (passengers)?? Yep, that's right, the cars today have filters that are designed to filter-out the air that goes into the passenger compartment and to help people with allergies and other breathing problems and stuff..... So, if THIS filter gets clogged, guess what? Yep, it is less fresh air into the passengers compartment.

Last. I use "Rain-X" , and it works. Period. It works and it works great. BUT, you have to follow the direction exactly. (with new wiper blades helps) Fog-X... well.... ummm... it's best for facesheilds of motorcyclist helmets.

Dave

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

Ever since the 1952 Fords, America hasen't made any cars worth having. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That's not true, pretty much any V-8 Studebaker is worth some love, wouldn't mind having an old Dart/Valiant/Barracuda or 60's B-body either.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel