FOLLOWUP: Fixed: 1995 Camaro - poor performance

Thought I might share my final fix for:

1995 Z28 Camaro - 350 V8, Engine Code 'P', 105,000 miles.

Overview: Coming back from Florida (to TX) my car started to run poorly, plus some overheating. It was sporadic - at times it would run okay, other times it had almost ZERO power.

After limping home, I did some research and concluded that it might possibly be the catalytic converter. However, I thought i would do some other updates before going that route:

  • new plugs, wires, fuel filter, some Shell VPower and some SeaFoam.

Voila! It's running fine now - must have been one of those items - I figured it was fuel-related.

Two months pass and in the last two weeks, it starts running like cr@p again. I check all the sensors, injector ohm readings, and relays, and change out the fuel regulator. I take it out for a spin and while on the freeway, I cant get her over 40MPH and the temp starts to climb. I coast off the freeway and into a parking lot and have her towed to a shop (I give up!).

I get the call the next day: "your catalytic converter is clogged up". Turns out the converter was broken itself, internally, as if it were a manufacturer defect, which is why the car ran badly, then was okay, then ran badly again.

Reply to
mst

any idea how it clogged?

Reply to
ed

Thanks for letting us know what u found. Often, we wonder if our suggestion(s) was correct. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Well, they wanted to investigate how it happened, because if you dont fix the root problem, it can happen again.

Upon investigation (ripping the cat open), it is determined that it was an "internal failure". Pieces were actually fractured internally and not caused by improper fuel, spark, and so on.

Reply to
mst