for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

A nice, open minded, rational position. Hope you haven't spawned, dude.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Hoo, boy, where'd you get THAT?

I have a bridge you'll love!

:)

Reply to
Tony Harding

Not to me, I take 'lots of stop and go traffic' to be like driving a cab in NYC. I have never driven a car like that and don't know anyone who has. I'm also curious which latitudes one has to live in to drive consistently > 90F or below freezing. I never pull a trailer nor do I ever go off road.

Reply to
Tony Harding

As I said, if it works for you, do it. Does it matter what others think?

Reply to
Observer

On 4/1/2010 9:00 AM jim spake these words of knowledge:

In my case, it was the next statement. The idea that the people who spend their time typing here, researching questions, answering questions for others, etc., are doing so because they wish to justify their laziness is rather remarkable.

If you actually consider "Vic's" remarks to be casual, I do not wish to disillusion you; the world will take care of that in relatively short order. But they were not. They were obvious misrepresentations, deliberate lies. Bear in mind that I was *not* one of the previous respondents, so it wasn't a case of me taking it personally.

Personally, I think you know that, and are a slightly more sophisticated troll, but I have answered you as if you are not, because I surely can be mistaken.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

In short-> It is sacrilegious to even speculate about hidden motives of the Saints.

You can't seriously believe I'm going to read this and not think "You are taking the comments as a personal attack on your belief system."

So let's say I change my oil at 8000 miles where does that put me. I mean Heaven is obviously reserved for those that change their oil at

10000 miles and Hell is for those who change oil at 3000 miles. So where do I end up? Purgatory?
Reply to
jim

I would think that anyone living in a major city with a 45+ minute style commute qualifies...and yes, that is a significant number of drivers. Of course, 'lots of stop and go' is open to interpretation and maybe the manufacturers intends for it to mean only cars that are driven for 8+ hours per day under those conditions...but should the end user assume that is what they meant or err on the side of caution if they have a daily rush-hour commute?

Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles...millions of drivers deal with that 90+ temperature for months at a time. Entire states like Wyoming and Wisconsin deal with temperatures 'consistently' below freezing for months at a time.

Reply to
Obveeus

I used to have a 65-70 min commute. However, it didn't affect my mileage. I took the train. ;-)

You can have 70 min commute, if you live far away, with mainly fast moving highways, even into NYC (I knew one teacher with about a 75-min commute from PA right into Harlem).

Reply to
dr_jeff

Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, El Paso, San Antonio & Austin. Many millions of Texans driving in the heat.

It wasn't long ago that we went over 30 days in a row without getting below 100 during the day and never getting below 80 at night. The car I was driving at the time has no A/C. That was tough.

I will never state how often I change my oil, that is now strictly classified information. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Here in Texas, the temp goes above 90 sometime in May and stays there until October. That pretty much kills normal schedule here, at least in the summer.

I think its interesting that Honda puts in the 90 degree clause, where Nissan focuses on dust and freezing temps, and only talks about hot in terms of stop-and-go driving in hot weather.

Reply to
E. Meyer

On 4/2/2010 7:40 AM jim spake these words of knowledge:

Your reading comprehension is even lower than "Vic's", apparently.

I don't have a belief system with respect to my cars. I use the actual knowledge of the people who build and understand them, and the people who have bothered to examine their oil to obtain real-world information on how often they should change it. You should try it. That said, I don't particularly care what you do. Further, if you look back up the chain of posts, you will notice that I did not participate. "Vic" was not responded to, nor addressing, me.

I can seriously believe that it doesn't matter what anyone says to you; your opinion is apparently based on some sort of religion or, as you put it, 'belief system'. Facts apparently don't enter into the matter. Enjoy!

Lady, it leaves you as someone who changes their oil every 8000 miles. Ask your high priest, or whatever freaky equivalent you use, about where it leaves you spiritually. I was obviously right about you being a troll, and wrong to respond to you as if you might not be. My fault, I suppose. I fight cynicism every day, although your kind makes it more difficult all the time.

This is usenet, so I understand you can do and say whatever you want. That stated, I suggest that you go troll somewhere else, and shut the hell up about your religion.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

On 4/2/2010 6:54 AM Observer spake these words of knowledge:

Exactly right. Does it matter to you, OP, that you could save time and money by doing it less often, without affecting how well it 'works for you'? If not, go for it.

It's all in what matters to you.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

You state you have zero personal first hand knowledge and no belief system. So what's left? you are omniscient?

yeah but if you're omniscient you already knew he was attacking you - even before he wrote it.

And pray tell what facts have you presented?

Reply to
jim

Thanks for the reply. IIRC I've seen Honda use the cab metaphor "stop and go" conditions (damned if I know where nowadays, of course).

Right.

Reply to
Tony Harding

That's hot, no 2 ways about it.

Reply to
Tony Harding

I hate finding the butter with elephant tracks. Any special kind of garlic.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Elephant garlic?

Reply to
Tony Harding

Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the normal schedule.

What about somewhere in between? Mine only use the word "occasionally".

Reply to
Bob Jones

Heh... Probably a product of the public school system!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I am a product of the public school system, and quite proud of it. So are my students.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff