Ford 460 V8 Water Pump Failures???

My parents have a 1988 motor home with a Ford 460 V8 in it. They drive it regularly to avoid typical component failures from sitting parked too much. However, they are about to replace the water pump for the 3rd time. They have been told that Ford 460 V8's are known for "eating" water pumps. Is it true that Ford 460 V8's are known for "eating" water pumps? If so, why are Ford 460 V8's known for "eating" water pumps? If so, what can be done to make a new water pump last in a Ford 460 V8?

Thanks,

Mike Zimnawoda [ snipped-for-privacy@myvine.com]

Reply to
Mike Zimnawoda

Hi Mike:

We had an 88 class A with a 460 bought new. Early on there was a slight leak from the water pump. I put some Barsleak in it, never had a problem with it over 13 years. It helps to change coolant every couple of years.

You d> My parents have a 1988 motor home with a Ford 460 V8 in it. They drive it

Reply to
phil w

For one thing don't put too much pressure on the bearing when adjusting the belt. That was the primary cause of pump failures on those engines. Secondly don't buy a rebuilt pump, get a new pump.

mike hunt

Mike Zimnawoda wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

I suspect that Ford tried cutting corners on waterpump bearings during the 80s. A co-worker had an 84 302 that ate water pumps like they were M&Ms, but was otherwise a truly great car. He never really "solved" the problem, but he found that *never* over-tensioning the fan belt more than doubled the pump life, and that buying a name-brand NEW water pump also helped a great deal. He just made regular belt tension adjustments part of his routine on that car, whereas on most cars you can slap a belt on a bit extra tight and it will gradually loosen until its time to replace it. With his, missing a belt adjustment at an oil change would make the fan belt start screeching since he kept it right on the hairy edge of being too loose.

Reply to
Steve