Ford 5.0 Liter Timing Chain Cover

After snapping off a bolt while replacing the water pump I ended up pulling off the timing chain cover to get access to the broken bolt.

The problem is that the oil pan gasket looks like it's one piece and it tore right under the crankshaft.

Do I need to drop the pad and replace the entire gasket (which I know is the "right" way) or do they make a partial gasket that would work?

What about something like RTV sealant or other "make a gasket" stuff?

Reply to
swimdad16

Ouch, busted bolts are sure a pain aren't they...

If you get the area super clean with an acetone or other solvent wipe and use RTV and let it set up for the 24 hours it calls for before putting fluids or vibration to it, you might be fine. I like 'permatex' 'ultra black'.

Getting it clean and dry is the biggest problem. Even a fingerprint will mess up the seal.

You don't say what year, but if you have an O2 sensor in there, you need to use 'sensor safe' RTV. Regular RTV fumes will kill some sensors.

Mike

Mike Romain

In some manuals it shows ok to do a timing cover leafing the pan gasket in place; I recall one gasket set where it said to replace that portion of the seal only. That being said; what kind of gasket is it? Rubber; cork? I have had the best luck with "Right Stuff" gasket sealer; from Napa and other chains- Available in a cheese wiz can or a calking gun type;

I'd give a repair a try, and if it leaks oil do the pan gasket later

Reply to
Stephen H