Ford AXOD won't shift into third...

I have a 96 Windstar with the 3.8L engine and 78k miles. Abruptly the transmission (AXOD) stopped shifting beyond second. I tried changing the fluid and filter. It worked again for about 3 miles and then trouble again. Prior to this the transmission worked well. Is this possibly caused by a faulty transmission range sensor assembly? Or something else simple and cheap?

I ask because I seen a few posts where replacement of the sensor fixed similar problems. Thanks in advance for any response and comments.

David H

Reply to
Textool

Since it is an electronically controlled trans, you should run it by someone like Autozone. They will access your OBD-II system and check for any fault codes frre of charge. Your problem sounds like an eletrical problem though it can be mechanical.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks for the info. I took it to an AAMCO shop that gave me the ODB read-out at no charge. The error code said "speed sensor out of range." They explained that when the computer detects certain error codes will cause the transmission to stay in second gear. So far I just exercised all the electrical connections to the transmission that I could find and it seems to be OK. Did a 10 mile road test with no problems. Also replaced a questionable motor mount on the PS rear.

Another symptom I've recently noticed is sometimes there is a light clunk noise when the accelerator is pushed after coasting at low speeds. This also happens when shifting from reverse to drive and back again while not moving. The other motor mounts seem OK, so this is either play in the CV joints or the transmission itself. Thanks again. Any more comment welcome.

David H

Reply to
Textool

Stay away from SCAAMCO!

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Well, I guess your experience has been different from mine. They rebuilt my Aerostars transmission for a competitive price with all other shops in my area. Then I put on another 95K before I sold it and it was still working well.

As with any franchise operation the quality of service mostly depends on the people who run the local shop, so maybe I was just lucky on that one. Please post your experience since I think there's a transmission job coming my way soon.

David H

I took it to an AAMCO shop

Stay away from SCAAMCO!

DS