Ford C6 transmission fluid flush

I have a 79 Ford E350 1 ton van that I would like to change out more of the transmission fluid than what normally is removed when you drop the pan. I would appreciate procedures that you can describe. I have dropped the pan and changed filters many times over the years but have never been satisfied with the few quarts of fluid that is actually replaced. Thanks

-Larry

Reply to
larry g. olsen

Check your converter for a drain plug. Some do and some do not have them. If a do not you can hose the pressure cooler line into a bucket or drain pan and flush away. MT

Reply to
MT-2500

Don't know my way around in the transmission after the pan is dropped, how do I recognize the converter and its drain plug. Also, not sure about the second method, pressure cooler line, when the cooler line is in to a bucket will it gravity feed out of the transmission?

-Larry

Reply to
larry g. olsen

For the converter drain plug you will have to remove the inspection plate from the front of converter and turn engine by hand and look for a drain plug. Or you can just take it to a shop and have a trans flush. Mt

Reply to
MT-2500

Although I've never done it with a Ford transmission, I can and do flush the fluid on my Toyota T100's auto trans every 30,000 miles. The procedure boils down to this: Find the line going to the transmission cooler that is the supply line - that is, the line that carries the positive fluid 'push' from the tranmission to the cooler. Disconnect it and attach a piece of clear vinyl tubing and run it into a calibrated bucket. Start the engine and have someone tell you when two quarts have been pumped into the bucket. Then pour in two quarts of transmission fluid. Repeat the pump/pour sequence until the fluid coming out the hose is the same color as the fluid pouring into the transmission. On my Toyota, that took about 10 quarts. Reconnect your cooler line, check for leaks and pat yourself on the back for saving all that money.

Reply to
Lhead

I forgot to mention one important part of the above - when the two quarts have been pumped into the bucket, shut off the engine. Then pour in the two new quarts. Drain the bucket. Then start the engine to drain the two next quarts off, then shut off the engine etc....

Reply to
Lhead

Got the transmission filter kit and will drop the pan tomorrow and see if I can find the converter's drain plug, if not I will try the scheme of connecting a clear tubing to the cooler supply line. One way or another I will get the job done from these helpful replies. Thanks

-Larry

Reply to
larry g. olsen

The converter drain plug if it has one will be a small 1/8 in pipe plug with a 7/16 wrench or socket head on it. Them C6 trans hold around 12 qt of fluid. On a good flush you will need around 16-18 qts to get all old out and new in. Most of them used a fine screen instead of a cloth filter. Also check the band adj while you are at it. MT Good luck

Reply to
MT-2500