ford cruise control deactivation to prevent fire

ix-noarchive: yes I recently purchased a 95 f150 and have become aware of the cruise control fire issue I would appreciate comments or links on deactivating the fire prone cruise control switch on this 1995 F150 6cyl truck (and dealing with any other similar surprises) I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with ford (I now know why ford is losing business--their failure to accept immediate responsibility for problems such as this-) I would hope I can just remove power to the switch or disconnect the switch itself, but know how this sometimes causes other unforeseen situations to occur (I have the tools and experience to do it, just trying to do it right the first time without re-inventing the wheel--I am in the process of trying to get a factory wiring diagram but don't have it yet)

Thanks in advance Bill snipped-for-privacy@usa.com

Reply to
Bill

Seems self-defeating given that Ford is picking up the tab.

See the recall below. Using your word, how much hassle could there be for the owner to take the truck to Ford to have a switch replaced. The hassle of deactiviting the speed control and living without the feature would seem to pose a greater level of hassle.

Cruise Control Recall - F-150 Trucks, Expeditions, Lincoln Navigators & Broncos September 7, 2005 Ford Cruise Control Recall

Ford Motor Company announced a massive safety recall on 1994-2002 vehicles to correct a problem that could cause the cruise control deactivation switch to overheat and create an underhood fire.

Models Affected by Ford's Cruise Control Recall

1994-2002 Ford F-150s 1997-2002 Ford Expeditions 1998-2002 Lincoln Navigators 1994-1996 Ford Broncos with factory cruise control Ford found that brake fluid coul leak through the cruise deactivation switch into the cruise system's electrical components and cause corrosion. Corrosion can cause a short and keep the cruise control from working, but in some cases it can
Reply to
John S.

Reply to
Slick