Ford Escort: Replacing #1 Spark Plug????

Hi all:

My 1995 Ford Escort with the 1.9 liter engine is approaching 100,000 miles so I thought I'd change out the spark plugs. I can get to numbers 2, 3 and 4 plugs OK - though getting the wires off is a real PITA - but the number one plug is buried behind the (I guess) air conditioning compressor. There's no way I can get my hands in there and get a good enough grip to get that plug boot off, and I'm not even sure that if I can get the boot off I can finagle the plug in and out.

Can someone give me some guidance here?

Is there some sort of plug wire tool available that'll let me get the plug wire off with all engine components in place, and if I get the wire off is there a straight enough shot at the plug itself that I can remove and replace it?

TIA.

Tom Young.

Reply to
Tom Young

Tony Hwang

They make pliers specifically for removing ignition wires from plugs in these kinds of predicaments. You'll be able to reach in there with those. If not, they make a small plastic ignition wire remover that fits around the plug just under the boot. It has a small t handle that you pull up on to remove the wire.

Use a piece of vacuum line to install the new plug. Put it right over the place the ignition wire plugs in to. You can start the threads with the vacuum line. That way you pretty much can't cross thread the plug. This is a handy trick for several engines, especially transverse mounted v engines.

Reply to
Clem

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I really don't want to be trying to remove that compressor.

Reply to
Tom Young

Reply to
saeengineer

That little plastic tool for grabbing the end of the wire costs about $1. It can save you a real headache if you damage the wire end and start chasing an engine mis. Be sure and twist the boot first to break the boot loose.

Reply to
MaxAluminum