Ford Fusion reverse gear

The reverse gear on my 2006 Ford Fusion 5 speed manual transmission will not engage. This happened after a problem occurred while parallel parking. I had the transmission in reverse, then moved the shifter to put it in neutral and let out the clutch. But the transmission did not go into neutral. The engine did not simply stall as if it was in reverse, but there was a dreadful noise like gears grinding. Now the transmission will not go into reverse at all. Is there any hope of getting this working without tearing the transmission apart.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Always, the first thing to do is have a look at the transmission, particularly the shifter. It may be toast, but check the externals and make sure they are okay and properly adjusted.

Reply to
HLS

Anything is possible.... it is probability that seems to get us one way or another... How long was the grinding allowed to go on? How much has the trans been operated in it's current condition of distress?

As another has commented, any diagnostic process is going to begin with "basics".... we begin with the least intrusive, simpler checks and tests and gradually work deeper - much like a doctor.

According to the WSM, the G5M-5 trans has a synchronized reverse..... Can the shift lever be moved into the reverse gear position? Are there any abnormal noises? If so, when do they occur? How many miles are on the car?

Reply to
Jim Warman

I don't see anything wrong externally. All forward gears shift the same as before.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

The grinding lasted about a second before it stalled. I have driven it about 15 miles since it happened.

The shift lever will not go into the reverse position; with the engine running or off. There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Good grief..... check your Owner Information Guide.... In Canada the 06 fusion has a 5 year/100,000 km powertrain warranty - one would assume 'similar' coverage in the US....

I'm going to tell you the same thing I have to tell the guys in our shop..... RTFM - read the manual....

Reply to
Jim Warman

engage. This happened after a problem occurred while parallel parking. I had the transmission in reverse, then moved the shifter to put it in neutral and let out the clutch. But the transmission did not go into neutral. The engine did not simply stall as if it was in reverse, but there was a dreadful noise like gears grinding. Now the transmission will not go into reverse at all. Is there any hope of getting this working without tearing the transmission apart.

only if you lost the linkage ... between the tranny and the steering post or tranny shift lever.

now they are going to electrical switches to move the tranny gears around and getting rid of the manual linkage for transmission shifting.

if the linkage is good ... my guess is you lost a shear pin off a pinon gear ... and crunched the gearbox assembly.

old age ... metal fatigue ... confluence of events.

sumbuddie hopes that helps

:?

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane

Jim Warman wrote: >

There are no noises from the transmission. The car has only 21,000 miles on it.

take it back to the factory shop ... don't think it will cost you a thing ... warrenty thingy as it must be a new car even if it is a 2006 would think.

wow ... what a buy kinda sort of thing.

3 years old and only what ... 500 miles a month roadwork so far.

on the face of it ... you got a good deal and it is worth keeping around perhaps.

sumbuddie just making wild guess now

:?

Reply to
Alan Mac Farlane

? indeed. Did your post have a point?

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Made in Mexico...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A problem as old as the hills with manual transmissions has always been that some owners are "Gorilla Monsoons" who will apply a great deal of FORCE to "MAKE" the vehicle go into the gear when it doesn't want to. You see linkage that looks like a pretzel, or you see the synchro gears either stripped or forced out of place. Usually you see that on older 4 speeds with Harry Hotrod types. BUT we have some Scooter owners who try to do things in shifting that are incredible. My step son has a new Honda S-1. The kid managed to MANGLE the clutch mechanism to the tune of $2 in less than 5K miles. He thought he was a RACE DRIVER. He managed to get it fixed under warranty, but I knew what he did. I have seen him drive. He loves to power-shift but the WRONG WAY.

No telling what it is - it may well be internal in the transmission, OR it may be screwed up linkage. If it is the linkage - I'd suggest the driver take some LESSONS.

Reply to
krp

I guess it depends upon how you feel about VWs. I am very disappointed that VW has not stepped up to the plate and proven that German technology can equal or better that of Japanese.

Reply to
HLS

Hey! NO PROBLEM with the Technology! German engineering is fantastic! My brand-new '85 Jetta only had 85 HP, but felt like a lot more, had room in the trunk for 3 bodies, could carry 5 comfortably and had features found on cars thousands of dollars more!

They should just hand the designs over to the Japanese and let them screw 'em together! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

VW has had persistent quality problems, and corporate always backs the dealerships who take responsibility for NOTHING.

VW has the ability to make a really great car. They just dont always do it.

Reply to
HLS

Toyota MDT in MO snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:iRO1m.2700 $ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

He has a point, but his hat hides it.

Reply to
Tegger

Ah, very good explanation!

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Toyota offers 5/60 on powertrain, actually. You may be thinking of Honda who still holds onto their 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty (and seems to still sell cars).

The flames would never have started had you not said that you like Fords! :-) Ironically, if I had to recommend a Ford based on reliability, price, and cost of ownership, I would probably start with the Focus. That's not saying much, but I do love me some devil's advocate.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Guess I really screwed up then. In '92, I bought a 1988 VW Fox GL wagon.

1.8L/4 speed manual. I put alot of money into it, but nowhere near matchng new car payments of any vehicle for a few years. 35 city/highway average. Clutch assembly replaced twice, tranny once, same engine in its lifetime. Was reliable till last year. Car pulled left from opposing lane in front of me. VW was beyond economical repair, beyond total insurance reimbursement. Mileage was over 350K.

Took insurance monies and my some of my own savings to put monies down on a

2008 Focus 5 spd manual, no frills whatsoever. 2 year extended warranty as well. All last year. Took delivery on Aug. 1st. Had dealer change oil/filter 3 times since. That's all the maintenance done. Approx. 6700 miles to date. Should I look for 350K miles again?
Reply to
Dioclese

Good dart may have missed it mark. Vehicle is currently assembled in Mexico, not sure about 2006. Is the 2006 Fusion manual transmission made in another country? 2008/2009 Focus 5 speed manual is made in France for example. Mazda engine for Focus 2.4L. Focus is assembled in Michigan.

Reply to
Dioclese