Ford Ranger brake question

Hi, I have a 2001 Ranger 4x4 with full anti-lock brakes. Most of the time, the brake pedal travel is long, and the brakes are weak, especially the rear. Even hard applications won't produce any heat on the rear drums, but the rotors get plenty hot. Sometimes, however, the pedal is higher and firmer, and I do get rear brake action and the drums do get hot. The wheel cylinders are free, and the shoes are properly adjusted. Could air in the system cause an intermittent problem like this? Also, does anyone here know how the front to rear proportioning valve works and if it is load sensing? The truck has been to the dealer five times but they can't fix it. They say it's working fine, but they are dead wrong. They claim to have bled the brakes four times, but I still suspect air in he system is the problem. Henry

Reply to
Henry H. Hansteen

They might not have bled it properly if it has ABS. Or the master cylinder might be bad. It could have a small leak but if so, you should see the petal really good right after it's bled, then getting progressively worse.

Air can cause an intermittent like this, it's more common though for air to be such that repeated pumping will firm up the brakes. To me it sounds like either a bad master cylinder or a bad wheel cylinder. These don't necessarily appear leaky to be bad.

How close is this to the end of the warranty? It could be the dealership is just stalling until the warranty runs out so they don't have to deal with the problem.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

They replaced the master cylinder as well as the main ABS unit. Can't recall what it's called. I know they didn't bleed it properly, becasue I loosened the fittings coming out of the master cylinder and wrapped a paper towel around them while someone depressed the brake pedal, and I heard a small burst of air come out. They did all the work under warranty, but because the problem is now intermittient, and seems to improve with repeated brake applications, they say it's fixed. What puzzles me, is the way the it changes. One day, I can't skid the rear tires even with full pedal pressure on hard packed snow, and the drums never even get warm, and the next day, the rear tries might skid on blacktop and the drums get hot. I have the ABS fuse pulled. I'll bleed them again and see what happens. Henry

Reply to
Henry Hansteen

The ABS system is causing your problem. Get the codes out and have it fixed.

Reply to
NeverMind