Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

I just learned that the 2010 (and perhaps earlier) Ford Explorers, and other Ford models, have what Ford calls "Easy Fuel" capless fuel fillers. As near as I can tell, instead of unscrewing a cap, one inserts the gas pump nozzle into an opening which automatically moves aside for fueling, and immediately closes when the nozzle is withdrawn. So far, no problems.

I also learned that one can buy a locking cover, to protect your gas tank from someone siphoning gas out. However, Ford says on one of its websites that it is almost impossible to siphon gas out, due to a second "one-way valve" on the tank where the filler attaches. That sounds OK to me too.

Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of you have faced. The website also suggests that gas can be placed into your tank ONLY with a properly sized nozzle from a gas pump. Suppose you run out of gas, and need to add gas from a plastic 2- or 5-gallon gas can? Can one do it, or does that second "one-way valve" deep into the filler keep the gas from entering the tank?

Has anyone here been successful in adding gas (other than at a gas station) to a Ford which is equipped with this relatively new device?

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

I have locking gas caps on both of my Dodge vans. I don't think Ford's ''Easy Fuel'' capless thingy is such a ''Bright'' idea.Suppose some creeps want to put whatever kinds of crap into those capless fuel tanks? Pouring fuel from a small gasoline container into capless fuel tanks should work ok.If not, Ford has screwed up! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Gas pump nozzles have been like that for years, ever since unleaded gas came in. The pump nozzle for unleaded gas is smaller than one for leaded gas so you can't put leaded in by mistake.

They also make gas cans nozzles 'unleaded' size and gravity gets by the internal 'valve' I have even seen those one way anti siphon 'valves' as a simple coil spring inside the tube.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I see this "capless filler" as a GOOD example of NASCAR making it's way too far into public life.

And something else enters my mind when I think about Ford's new innovation - it starts with the letter "f" and ends in smoke...

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

I'll bet that their P04XX EVAP code warranty claims drop considerably.

It would make no difference than if they had a conventional gas cap. (duh) However, most fuel doors have inside release mechanisms, so as long as the vehicle is locked, it wouldn't be that easy.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

My 67 Barracuda had a quick-fill chrome cap that you opened by pressing on the release on the side and flipped it open. That was certainly " "boss." My mother 70 Barracuda had the filler located behind the spring loaded license plate holder. That was "not too cool." I'm glad that they're trying to make gimmicky gas fillers again.

Reply to
dsi1

Agreed. The current Ford system is definitely "far out." Since the current generation of gas cans has a nozzle specifically designed to fit like the filler nozzle on the pump, I don't see that it would be any issue. "Totally wicked" quick-fill systems should function in a "groovy way" with the modern cans.

There are some old cans out there that don't have a long nozzle on them, just a short spout. Those would work with cars designed for leaded gas, but when unleaded came along the modern narrow nozzle standard came out specifically to prevent "hodads" from pouring leaded gas into a car designed only for unleaded.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That's "bitchin!" The truth is that people are going to think they're really cool by not having to remove that gas cap and placing it on the trunk or holding it like the rest of us "gremmies."

Do people still have those old gas cans? Do we still have to worry about pouring leaded gas into cars designed only for unleaded? What a "bummer." :-)

Reply to
dsi1

As the OP I thank you guys for your comments and speculation. Let me try to focus the responses a bit.

First, I don't think the diameter of the gas pump nozzle or the gas can nozzle is the issue - the problem I'm concerned about is the length. The Ford website I consulted implied that the gas pump nozzle goes sufficiently far/deep into the filler tube to engage/open the inner valve - and that ordinary gas can nozzles or funnels are not long enough to allow gas to flow.

Second, I'm mostly interested in hearing from people who have actually added gas from other than a gas pump into a recent model Ford that has one of these new devices. Speculation is interesting, but I'd really like to hear about some first-hand experience.

Again, I do appreciate what has been posted so far, so please don't take offense at my desire to redirect the flow more pointedly.

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

I have quite a few very old timey/old style gas cans.I do use one of them for lawn more gas, because I like them better than the plastic gas cans.I am old fashioned. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Well then Ford would have totally screwed up wouldn't they have.

It is 'very' unlikely that your interpretation of 'size' is right.

Size of fuel fillers is the diameter, not the length.

Give us the link to the page you were reading please.

Mike

CWLee wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The ones I have here (from Ace Hardware) have flexible nozzles about nine inches long. The long nozzle is required to open the "gate" on all modern gas fillers anyway.

If yours does not have a long enough nozzle, cut a foot of garden hose and clamp it on.

I haven't yet, but ask me after the Potomac Celtic Festival, when my crew will have serviced a couple dozen people who will run out gas on site (and at least twice that many who will have dead batteries and need jump starts).

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A few months ago when I was gassing up my 1983 Dodge van, I thought I had grabbed the gas pump nozzle.It is a good thing that diesel fuel pump nozzle wouldn't fit into my van's gas filler pipe.I would have messed up for sure! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I've supplied several below, and I'm not sure which one is the one where I got my information. Some of those links also contain other links, and I don't remember just where I went. However, I have since found a statement in one of those which sheds more light on this issue of filling from a non-gas-pump source.

"Easy Fuel also has a patented mis-fueling inhibitor to reduce improper fueling and siphoning. The inhibitor consists of a fuel nozzle detector that guides the nozzle to the opening. If a nozzle or foreign tube of a different size - a diesel nozzle or plastic hose, for example - is placed in the filler neck of a gasoline-powered vehicle, the latches will not release. For a diesel-powered vehicle, the inhibitor will keep out the smaller gasoline nozzles.

To protect the fuel filler neck from dirt, dust and debris, Easy Fuel relies on a flexible rubber seal in the body housing. The system also comes with a handy plastic funnel, which is stored with a vehicle's tire changing kit, in case someone runs out of fuel and needs to add a gallon or two from a portable container.

Because fuel cans are not standardized in terms of their nozzle, we needed to make sure customers could easily get fuel into the system if they ran out, said Aitken. The funnel is the same diameter as an unleaded fuel pump nozzle for a gasoline-powered vehicle."

Again, I'd like to hear from someone with actual, hands-on experience with this Ford device, not just similar items elsewhere.

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

It seems to work Ok. I always feel weird when I fill up my F150. I just open the fuel door and stick in the nozzle. When I am finished I just pull the nozzle out and close the door. It is fast and efficient and I never spill any gass.

You can worry about everythig. I've never had this happen in 40 years of driving.

Ford has mostly quit building cars with inside fule release levers.

Most gas cans you buy have poperly sized nozzles (at least all the ones we own do).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I doubt if most people use a funnel with small portable gas containers.I doubt those handy dandy funnels that Ford supplies with Easy Fuel vehicles will stay with most of those Easy Fuel vehicles for a long while.Funnels and other thingys have a habit of getting lost. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I hear what you are saying. I didn't know what the funnel was for. It was in with the tire changing equipment (jack, crank, wrench,etc.). Shortly afer I got the F150 I ran over something on the highway and had to change a tire by the side of the road. I thought the funnel was some sort of device to help you guide the jack crank into the winch that lets you lower the spare tire. I stuck the funnel into the hole where you insert the crank shaft thinking it would better align the shaft. It did a poor job of this! Only later when I actually looked through the Owner's Guide did I find out what it really was. Ford should have label the thing for us idiots.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

CWLee wrote: If a nozzle or foreign tube of a

The system also comes with a handy plastic funnel,

Well, there you go, they 'did' screw up to the point of having to supply a special funnel to make it work.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Reply to
tomstarbuck92078