ford taurus rear disc brake caliper servicing

I'm replacing the pads on the rear disc brakes on my Ford Taurus station wagon.

One of the steps before installing new pads is to retract the piston by turning it clockwise with a special tool, which I have. I am finding it nearly impossible to turn the piston, and I was wondering whether it might be because I didn't remove the emergency brake cable (the emergency brake is released, but it seemed difficult to remove the end of the cable from the lever at the back of the caliper, and I was able to remove the caliper enough to replace the pads without removing the brake cable, so I didn't).

I'm just wondering if the presence of the emergency brake cable might somehow be keeping the piston from rotating. (I don't know exactly how the emergency brake works, and the diagrams I've been able to find online don't help).

Any suggestions? Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Fleischer

1999?

wws

Reply to
wstiefer

It's a 2003 Taurus wagon -- probably quite similar to a 1999 (and apparently similar to other rear-disc Ford cars).

Bob

wstiefer wrote:

Reply to
Bob Fleischer