FRAM oil filter

I recently had a problem with my old Toyota where the engine oil light came on for several seconds after starting. Thought I had an oil pump problem so I checked deja for possible hints. I found several posts siting various problems with FRAM filters so decided to check it out. Turns out that the drainback valve on the 2 new FRAM filters I bought from Wally world were tight and restrictive (couldn't even get compressed air through). I then ran out and paid $3 more for a WIX filter at CarQuest which had a drainback valve that worked freely and properly. After installation the oil light now goes out quickly after start. I don't know if FRAM is making their filters in China like most other sleazy American companies, but I think they forgot all about quality control and their customers, in favor of profits. They turned what was once a good product into JUNK! Their cheap filters are not worth wasting an engine for.

Reply to
Norm

I've never use Fram, but I hear from others that they've been below-par for years.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

You can also buy Wix filters rebranded as NAPA filters. They offer the standard size for Toyotas, as well as the "tall" canister model.

Reply to
doug

Reply to
Mike Walsh

How did you try to put the compressed air thru them??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Good question. The anti drain-back valve is the 'rubber' structure immediately below the outer ring of holes at the filter end. ISTM that if air was forced in the centre hole and could not escape through the outer ring of holes, then the valve was doing its job and it is the other filters that are faulty, not the Fram. But perhaps he found some clever way of forcing air in through the outer holes only, the same way as oil flows, without pressurising the centre exit at the same time?

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Maybe what he thought was "tight and restrictive" was actually flow in the reverse direction?

In any case would be curious to know if a good (Purolator or Wix) filter solved the problem. I suspect it would but there might be some other, underlying issue (I hope not!)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Fram oil filters have been garbage for at least two decades, in which time they've been through at least four corporate owners. Prior to the mid-late '70s, Fram put out a decent product.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I don't know if FRAM is making their filters in China like most

If Fram was *ever* a "good product" it was before 1980. They've always been the bottom of my list for oil filters.

Reply to
Steve

over by another company, about 10 years ago I think.

Longer than that. They've been owned by Allied Signal about that long, but their oil filters were the pits WAY before that corporate change.

Reply to
Steve

taken over by another company, about 10 years ago I think.

Honeywell now. Honeywell also owns the Prestone and Autolite brand names. Also Holts, although they're primarily in the UK.

Reply to
y_p_w

While I don't want to defend Fram, I have never yet seen meaningful data about their product. The simple 'saw open and see' tests aren't worth the time it took to do them.

They may well be crap, but I can't make that decision based on any data I have seen.

Reply to
<HLS

When did Ford sell Autolite?

Reply to
Limey Lurker

In 1974, Ford was forced by antitrust actions to divest itself in the US of all Autolite activities.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I've often heard that Toyota's HAD to have an anti-drainback valve and that some of the Fram's didn't have them at all and worked poorly on those Toyotas.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

In the late 1970s, I worked for a Fram distributor. Fram sent us a letter saying, in effect

" We have cheapened our most popular filters so we can get the price down and dirty for the Big Box stores - Wal-Mart, Target etc. However, the price to you, our regular distribution chain that made Fram a household name, will remain the same. Thank you."

All you need to do is cut apart a Fram filter, and a Wix. Almost any other filter on the market, including the generics, are constructed better internally than a Fram. I do not use them ever.

Reply to
Rex B

If the car requires an ADBV, the Fram version for that car will probably have one. The vast majority of Fram oil filters have the ADBV. The question is really about the design/materials used and the quality control (or lack thereof). There have been many anectodal reports that the ADBVs in Frams just don't keep the oil in the can, and some have noted that the material has pinched or otherwise remained open.

Reply to
y_p_w

Some Napa Auto parts stores have a display with a Gold Napa/Wix filter vs. the Typical Fram Oil Filter.

Both have the steel body cut near the base so you can take it off.

There is No comparison; the Napa/Wix is much better constructed by far, with more filter media as well.

Even the cheaper Silver Line at Napa is better then a Fram.

Reply to
Hardpan

Prove that it is 'better'. It looks better, I'll grant you.

Such tests, although eye catching, mean nothing. We have had years of FRAM strings here, but real data is lacking.

Reply to
<HLS

Heck, must people don't even know what "better" is.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White