front end alignment on an 1989 Ford F150

I have an 1989 Ford F150, 2 wheel drive, with 180,000 miles on it. When I took it to the mechanic to have the wheels aligned he said that the wheels would not stay aligned so he could not align them for me.

What could be the cause of this problem? Am I correct that in feeling that this is gonna be a very expensive problem to fix?

Reply to
Bzam

Why didn't you ask the mechanic these questions? I am sure if he was any sort of decent mechanic he'd know the answer. After all, he had a good opportunity to get a close look at it, and he should know the approximate cost to repair it, as well.

Reply to
Mark Olson

If the mechanic were in business to service his customers:

He would have told you the exact problem, and given you an itemized statement.

On that particular vehicle, I'm sure it's the stamped steel axle, which requires bushings, and has a revised toe-in specification. So, if it is the stamped axle, at the very least it will need ball joints. Possibly an Idler arm.

If it's a forged axle, most shops don't have the kit, and Ford frowns on it, but you have to bend the axle to correct camber, and also will at the very least need king pins.

Not withstanding the fact, that your sterring linkage suck as: Tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm might need be in need of replacement.

Refinish King

PS

Thank God I don't sell alignment services per se, and only fix what the other's can't or don't want to!

Reply to
Refinish King

Sounds like your alignment guy is an idiot. Take it to a shop where they know what they are doing & they will tell you what exactly needs fixed/ tightened/ replaced. Food for thought, if no one can pinpoint your looseness, an often overlooked & forgotten about problem with high mileage fords like yours are the axle pivot bushings (where the inner axle end connects to the frame.) I replace a lot of these on F350s. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter