Frustrated!

Have a 1989 F150, was problem free for the 5 years I have had it until a month ago. The thing started to spit and sputter at cruising speed but would pull out of it within seconds and run good. Problem gradually got worse over the next few days until it wouldnt stay running after I started it. I just assumed It had something to do with the fuel system so I put it in my garage and went to work. I tried replacing the TPS, MAP sensor, fuel pressure Reg and the high pressure fuel pump located on the frame rail. Each to no avail. This truck has duel tanks and runs bad from both so I havent touched them. after a week and a half with no results on my own I decided to seek a pro. $400 later and 3 trips there the problem still exists! The weird thing is that every time it gets worked on it seems to run fine til the next morning. Could this be a clogged Cat converter? This is a double Cat on this truck and I did notice It has a sensor for each and 1 is broke off. What exactly do these sensors do? Any help would be much appreciated! .................coolant temp sensor has also been replaced.

Reply to
rifleman

The sensor for the cat converter being broken could be the main cause of your problem. I would get that fixed asap and see if it helps.

Auto Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

This is another case where the problem is difficult to pin down, and parts have been thrown at it to try to fix it.

Nothing personal intended, because you and a ton of competent mechanics, and a goodly number of dealership hambones have been stymied in the same way.

I dont know what is wrong with your truck.

My partner, a few years ago, started having problems with his Ford van, and went through the same sort of scheit. He started at the dealership. They kept the van for DAYS, while he rented one of their cars.

They replaced every freaking thing you can imagine. The van still gave problems.

Finally, after a few thousand in replacement parts, and about as much in car rentals, he asked them if they had checked the fuel lines. !What! !Why!!...

Well, guess what...the fuel lines were fouled.

Im not saying that is what is wrong with yours. What I am saying is that I sympathize, and that all sorts of mechanics fix at, rather than fix, your car. And you take it in the boody...

Reply to
<HLS

I feel your frustration. Had a GM car with like type problems. Two different GM dealers. $400 down the drain. Took it to my local gas station mechanic.

20 minute repair. One new spark plug wire. Ran fine thereafter. W W
Reply to
Warren Weber

Just fixed an intermittant problem on a 90 that drove me nuts, sounds the same. Scanned it, came up with an O2 sensor code, unplugged it & the problem went away, replaced it, have a nice day. If ya got one broken off.........DUH.

Reply to
pater

I am a mechanic and had this problem a few times. I have found on trucks with dual tanks that the switch mech on the frame where both tanks run into goes bad and causes such fuel problems and many times wont start at all. I am realy surprised no one thought of that. A professional mechanic with any sense should have checked that. That would cause it to act up on both tanks.

Reply to
carguy27