Fuel Consomption from OBD-II values

Is there any way (formula) to calculate the fuel consumption (e.g. L/100 KM or Gal/Mil) from values read from OBD-II interface?

I think next values could be taken into consideration to compute the fuel consumption, but I don't know how exactly to interpret the result of them:

Short Term Fuel Trim Long Term Fuel Trim Mass Air Flow Fuel Pressure Accelerator Pedal Position Throttle Position RPM

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I don't think it's possible, there are some programs that act like a trim computer (showing instant MPG data, average fuel consumption, etc.) but the actual fuel consumption will be different from what the computer may show. I just do this a simple way:

  1. Note the reading of the fuel gauge when it's at easy to see exact position (e.g exactly an 1/4 tank mark).
  2. Reset the trip odometer to zero
  3. Fill up the gas tank (it's easier if you fill up with even number of gallons or liters, e.g 30 liters.
  4. Drive and once the fuel gauge will show the position you noted when you zeroed the odometer - check how many miles you drove. So suppose you filled 30 liters and drove 250KM before the gauage shows the same reading. So you got 100x30/250=12L/100km
Reply to
Carguy

"Chris" wrote in news:1160064779.892720.143910 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I seem to recall seeing a laptop-based OBD-II diag system that was capable of the sort of number-crunching you need to do. I don't seem to have recorded the maker, though.

Laptop solutions are software-based, with an adapter cable that conects the OBD-II DLC port and a USB port on your laptop.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Here is a software for OBDII to do what you are talking about.

I just do the old fashon way. When I pump gas I reset my milage or write down the current milage and pump the tank full. That way next time I pump I record that amount and divid it into the milage recorded and get an average MPG.

Regards,

BennyB TeGGeR=AE wrote:

Reply to
BennyB

Or you can buy one of these:

I bought the older and much clunkier first generation model. It works very well and does all of above and more. ON caveat: fuel consumption and related values (like miles to empty) are accurate only to within 10% and perhaps more. Good for determining how speed affects your fuel consumption but it doesn't replace actual fuel consumption measurements made at the pump and I wouldn't use it to decide whether I could make it to the next station.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Gordon McGrew) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I like these people already! Check out the photo on the home page.

129 mph! 5174rpm! Somebody's having some cheeky fun here!
Reply to
TeGGeR®