fuel economy

can anybody tell me when the air con is on does it use more fuel?

Reply to
kevin mccormick

Yes. Lots of people can tell you that.

Reply to
TCS

My '91 has an "economy" mode for the AC which runs it on lower power to conserve fuel. At this time of year though, when AC usage is warranted (temps. over 30°C inside the car), the "economy" mode doesn't seem to be too effective at cooling things, so I hafta run it on normal anyway. Obviously AC usage hasta make a slight impact on fuel mileage.

Reply to
Ricardo

| |kevin mccormick wrote: |> |> can anybody tell me when the air con is on does it use more fuel?

Generally, it's more efficient to run the A/C that to drive with the windows down. This is more true at highway speeds than in town.

Also, the most efficient setting for A/C is Max Air. It recirculates the already cooled air. Normal A/C brings in outside air and must cool it down from ambient the whole time.

Reply to
Rex B

My 2003 Echo averages 49 mpg with AC off and 47 mpg with AC on. YMMV.

Although hav> can anybody tell me when the air con is on does it use more fuel?

Reply to
kgold

I was going back and forth to different manufacturer's Web sites looking at fuel economy stats... then I found

and clicked on the picture of the Honda Insight. They have a really cool applet that lets you compare fuel economy in every car tested by the Department of Energy. With gas prices at an all time high, it really pays to compare, and this web site makes it real easy.

Cheers, Brent

Reply to
Statsman

Thanks, I went to the Department of Enery site, adn opened that huge pdf file, it takes for every to find what you want there, Storydata makes it much easier.

Sharron

Reply to
Sharron Mias