Fuel filters

I wanted to change the fuel filter on my car.

The filter is either in the fuel tank, and if there is one, it is only a screen.

Has gas gotten so clean that filters are no longer needed ?

Or is it that car manufactures want to make more money ?

Fuel filters used to be close to the carburetor, then they migrated under the car.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Most vehicles have a strainer in the tank and some also have have a filter inline near the tank.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Andy K wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

if you told us what car it is it might help. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Been that way for a while. Filters are needed with a metal tank that will rust and leave crud in the tank. However unless you're filling your vehicle at an OLD station or out of rusty cans the fuel is actually very clean. Many vehicles use plastic gas tanks which eliminated a lot of the issues. The fuel you get at the station goes through a filter in the pump. In most places it's stored in fiberglass tanks.

Reply to
Steve W.

2009 Mazda CX7

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Interesting info.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

No filter on it, just the in tank sock. Doesn't really need one either. From the book it also looks to have nylon fuel lines. Nothing in the system to rust.

Reply to
Steve W.