Fuel Injector Rattling Noise?

(90 Seville) After replacing a cracked/rotted rubber cap on the radiator, just below the radiator cap, noticed rattling noise. A mechanic diagnosed the source as bad harmonic balancer and idle pulley. (Worried for a while there the noise might be related to some valve problem.) But the rattling noise is still present after replacing those. Now the mechanic says the rattling noise might be from fuel injector. Is fuel injector rattling noise normal?

Reply to
Here&There

"Here&There" wrote

Get a piece of hose (2 feet of vacuum hose works nice), and stick it in your ear. Move the other end around the engine compartment (without getting it caught in the fan!), and you should be able to identify where the noise is coming from. Or go to your local auto accessory store, and buy a "Mechanic's Stethoscope". With that you can touch various parts of the engine, and pinpoint the noise.

Then get a new mechanic with ears that work, or sell him the stethoscope.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:07:30 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Here&There

Reply to
Dave J and Lynne J Shepherd

That's good news and bad news. Was skeptical myself the rattle was from the injector - too low pitched to classify it as "ticking". That's good news. The bad news is that I may have more serious problem. Think have a dealer take a look. Thanks for response.

Reply to
Here&There

The ticking noise sounds like a mechanical clock on steroids. Sounds a lot like someone taping their fingers on the table (only lifting their fingers off the surface maybe 1/4").

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Hmmm... The sound when I tap the laminated wood table with a knuckle is a lot like it. But the sound can't be considered "slight" as the Shepherds indicated. Anyway your description made me less worried. Thanks.

Reply to
Here&There