Fuel Line Splice

After 18 years the original forward fuel line ahead of the fuel filter has decided to remain permanently rusted to the connector which threads into the front of the fuel filter. The filter would not unscrew off the forward line.

The rear line was replaced around 2003 when a new fuel pump was installed and is still removable.

Just around the time I bought the Buick in 2005 I recall having to hold the forward fitting with a line wrnech becuase the line was already rusted to the fitting. The filter would still spin off though...the last fuel filter was installed in 2004, but only had less than 10,000 miles on it.

I've been sick the passed few weeks, plus with aging eyes, working under a car looking less than 12 inches in front of my face can be a problem - visually speaking.

I asked a local repair shop to replace the forward line and filter (I supplied and OEM Filter). If they could remove the old filter somehow that would be great as this will probably be the last fuel filter that is put on the car. I only put about 2,500 to 3,000 miles on the car in a year now.

When I picked the car up I was told my OEM filter couldn't be installed on the new fitting. New fitting? Wy? They gave me the box top from the CarQuest fuel filter they installed so I'd know the filter number if I ever replaced the filter myself.

Once I got home I looked underneath the car. The new filter has a 2-3 inch long pipe coming out the front with a rubber fuel line double clamped on to it. The original fuel line was cut and the rubber hose slipped over an double clamped over the fuel line. The rubber hose is no more than 8 inches long.

With fuel injected cars running a higher pressure through the lines is this set up kosher?

harryface

91 Bonneville 319,179 05 Park Avenue 86,911
Reply to
Harry Face

only if they used the proper high pressure fuel hose, and screw and nut type clamps.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Shouldn't be a problem. Not hard to buy GOOD fuel injection rated screw style clamps. High pressure rubber fuel line is also common. I keep both on hand for the same reason!

If that repair scares you don't look under many big trucks or most newer vehicles. You will discover a LOT of molded plastic fittings and plastic lines. Great things because they don't rust.

Reply to
Steve W.

It feels like a heavy duty fuel hose they used. I was more up on this stuff in the 80's when my cars were much older models and lines had to be splice due to rot & age.

My Buick has the plastic squeeze clip to remove one of the lines.

harryface

91 Bonneville 319,239 05 Park Avenue 86,940
Reply to
Harry Face