Fuel pump change by removing bed?

I have a 1996 chevy step side. I may have to change the fuel pump. Someone said taking the bolts out of the bed and jacking it up is easier than removing the gas tank. Is this true?

Reply to
stryped

Yep, MUCH easier in fact. By pulling the bed off the tank just sets in place. Fuel lines come off easier and you don't have to fight with the connections while trying to balance the tank on a jack. No fighting to empty out the tank, or fighting with a half full tank. You can change out the connector much easier as well (Make sure you do this as well as change the pump, The contacts lose tension due to the higher current draw from a failing pump) It also allows you to clean off the back of the cab and clean off the frame and such.

The only hard part is getting the bed bolts out if they have rusted a lot. Clean off the rust and spray them down and see what you get. If you decide that is a PIA just cut them off and put in new ones. What I generally do is install new ones if they are rusted. Then coat the new ones with good wax and than paint over that. This way if they have to come off later they don't get rusty.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wish I had done mine by taking teh bed off. Trying to get the tank out was a nightmare.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Don't know about that model. But if the fuel and electrical (pump and sender) connections are on the top of the tank, you might have problems reaching them with the bed in place. And it might be difficult to drop the tank without disconnecting them first (without damaging something).

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.