Fuel Pump Wiring/system Short?

88 Buick Skylark Purchsed in cool air January Southern Nevada with "recent new fuel pump" After driving ten or so miles a faint high pitched noise, inceasing when brakes or blinkers are applied. In 100+ temps "singing" increases in volume then car quits. Restarts immediately. R and Rd alternator, showed bad bearing wear. No change in problem. R+R idler pully and main belt. No change in problem. Sound determined to be in rear of car. R and R fuel pump. No change. Actually worse sooner singing sooner cut out. Problem deteriorating as car will go no more than 4-6 miles before very fast shut down with shorter to no "singing." Restart taking more and more time, 3-5 minutes after 3-4 miles in 100 deg. No fun inside hot 120 car. Pump tries to start as "singing" can be heard for seconds. Will likely fail but won't unless car is hot.

Skematics? What do we have? An internal "temperature sensitive," unobvious, deteriorating, wire/terminal, short? Odometer shows "error" but all else on dash works.

CPU? Ignition?

Anything else?

Sheesh.

Reply to
JPaul

I would stick a fuel pressure gauge on it, it would likely shed some light on the problem..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Clogged fuel filter?

97T