Gabriels Vs. OEM

Okay, so I decided to put some new front struts on my Grand Am. I went with 4 new Gabriel Ultras... Said they had a nice ride, which is what I was kind of looking for. Long story short, they ride like crap. These struts are so stiff that I can't even push down on the front end and flex the suspension. I have tried this on other Grand Am's and they had way more suspension travel. So I was wondering, would OEM be a better choice? Apparently there are two different types of suspension options for the Grand Am, so I figured they would be more customized for my car... any ideas?

Reply to
waterboy44

What year and model is your Grand Am?

Regardless it is hard to beat the OEM struts.

Reply to
bnaylor

New Gabriels ride stiff, sure you didn't get the ones for the Z suspension option?

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Gabiel Ultras are performance gas shocks. They are gas shocks! They are supposed to ride rough! I've had them on my Grand Am for the last 10 years. It rides like a 1957 Chevy truck. For a soft ride you may want to check into cheap dual cylinder Monroes.

Reply to
« Paul »

Its a 2000... I didn't have any Z option for the struts... at least I don't believe so. The one thing that really bothers me is that I live on a backroad and its really roush on the car...

Reply to
waterboy44

The best thing to do is go back to the OEM struts. GM "N" body struts are specifically designed for that platform. The aftermarkets are too generic in nature. The 2000 Grand Am had at least two suspensions options available. GM RPO FE2 and FE3 codes. Check the SPID label on the back of the spare tire cover to see which one you have.

FE2 = Ride and Handling Suspension FE3 = Sport Suspension

The SE models normally have the FE2 option and GTs have the FE3.

Even the OEM struts are different depending on whether you have the FE2 or FE3 RPOs.

Reply to
bnaylor

Oh. I sympathize with you. I live in suburbia - smooth concrete with a = few potholes. I probably won't get gas shocks on any more cars. Its too hard on the ca= r - shake and break. I'll still get performance shocks but they will be twin tube = with proportional valves - no to low gas.

Reply to
« Paul »

All gas shocks or only performance gas shocks? Haven't all cars made since the early 1990s come with gas shocks, including several soft riding cars?.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Yeah, I believe OEM would be the best option. I haven't heard too many good things about Gabriel or Monroe....

Reply to
waterboy44

I have liked the Gabriels... but then, I like a really hard ride and almost always think the OEM shocks are too soft. Then again, I learned to drive in an MG....

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Is it true that the OEM shocks sold as replacements are different from those installed at the factory? Because I've heard that factory originals are tuned for brand new suspension bushings while OEM replacements are tuned for bushings that have loosened up from miles.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It appears that you said exactly the same thing I did but used different = words.

Reply to
« Paul »

Its unlikely the op wants or needs to spend a few hundred on shocks. Its unlikely the op will be off road or track racing his car. Considering the car and its use, I would go with linear.

Reply to
« Paul »

So what would be best for his car?

Reply to
« Paul »

What kind of a ride does he want? I like a really hard ride. Lots of other people like a really soft ride. You pick what gives you the ride you like.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

well i live on a backroad and the gabriels ride really stiff on this road, and being in Ohio the roads suck so they don't do me much good...

Reply to
waterboy44

(80 lines snipped)

I have no doubt that you are very knowledgeable in the area of custom bui= lt racing shocks. However, the op drives an ordinary G/A on ordinary gravel roads.=

He has no need for custom built shocks. Ordinary over the counter shocks= will suffice, as they do for most of the vehicles on the road.

For the last 14 years my personal daily drivers have been G/A's. I know = what type of shocks work well on those cars. Get a good set of dual tube, non gas charged shocks. Gas shocks give a stiff ride and raise the body 1" to 2" for the first fe= w tens of thousands of miles or so. I know from experience.

Reply to
« Paul »

I think you are completely wrong. You have over complicated a simple problem that has a simple solution. A G/A is not a race car. Its an ordinary car like most of the others on the highway. Neither it nor the driver needs a detailed study simply to get a pair of decent shocks. Autozone-O'Reilly: Gabriel, Monroe, store brand, dual tube, non-gas, non-performance.

Reply to
« Paul »

You are correct. Reading up on the latest shock I found that they are al= l gas nowadays. Thanks for the enlightenment. Paul.

Reply to
« Paul »