Garage sale find

So, i find this little Dodge Ram 50 2. 0 truck at a sale for 250 bucks. It ran fine when i test drove it, saw no appearance of leaks and the smoking the guy said it does was minimal so i bought it to use for delivering pizzas as i do. First night i take it out, i cant get away from my first stop, get a push finally and pop the clutch and i am okay and trade vehicles for the rest of the night. Change out the battery and try it another night and it does mostly fine except that it used a little under a half of a tank in only 63 miles! Very little power in this hilly town i live in so i was having to go as low as 1st and 2nd gear to climb. Got in it to come home and it barely got me here kind of like the idle had fallen down. It would restart and i would have to really play between the gas and clutch to keep it going at every stop. Changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it wont restart. Made sure i have the right order, still nothing. Checked the fire on the coil wire to find very little spark and changed out the coil, still nothing. It turns over good but doesnt start. A neighbor friend was trying to help me something about removing the first plug and checking compression? He said he could barely feel anything as i tried bumping the ignition. Would anyone explain that? What i do know, i am proud of being able to do but i dont claim to understand it all. I am attempting to switch out the fuel filter now if i could just get the dang clips off. We did spray starting fluid in the carb while trying to start as he said that would bypass filter and it wouldnt matter but still nothing. Can anyone help??? Thank you in advance. Mileage shows at 86 thou something but i am sure that has been rolled over at least once for an

84 model.
Reply to
galwithamonkeywrench

Sounds like you need to go get a cheap compression tester before you waste any more money. It might not have enough compression to start easy which can soak the plugs down with gas which floods it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

you may even want to check your plugs position and make sure every single one isnt 1 slot off all the way around, know what I mean? They can be in the right order, but 1 hole off, eh, will cause some issues. Make sure #1 plug fires at #1's compression max. It ran before you changed all that , right? Your compression is defintely worth a check, as mentioned, since she's smoking.

my .04

Reply to
ed

I have checked and re checked, even found the plug wires backing into the boots and having to dig them out each time and make sure they were in right. Yes, it ran but had way to little power even for a four banger. Maybe it was on its way out the door and i got home just in time before whatever happened happened because it kept dying on the way but it would restart and then i would have to really play with the gas and clutch to keep up.

Reply to
galwithamonkeywrench

if you were going to jack with it - you should have just gone through a regular tune-up procedure - first.

and especially the fuel filter change.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

Ya might wanna re-read before being rude......that is what i did first. You know, plugs, wires, rotor, cap. Last i heard, that is regular tune-up procedures.

Reply to
galwithamonkeywrench