gas mileage

on a new car that has a mileage posting affixed to the window stating 22 city, 26 highway, but only gets 16 city, what goes, why?

mho vfe

Reply to
fiveiron

Those are EPA estimated mileage ratings. They are usually overly optimistic. By amending your driving habits, you may get better mileage, but it is unlikely that you will achieve those efficiencies in the real world.

Reply to
<HLS

That's not necessarily true. My overall gas mileage is slightly *better* than the estimated ratings.

I do think that driving habits and traffic conditions contribute greatly, though.

Reply to
Jon C

that is under perfect conditions. the world is far from perfect.

Reply to
hardparts

Firstly, what gasoline are you putting in? It is the recomended grade? Is it oxygenated? Tires inflated? Driving style?

City driving fuel economy is very sensitive to driving style, and traffic patterns too. Beating the traffic at 5 in the morning is as much city driving as crawling in that traffic at 8:45.

Secondly, maybe part of the reason is that the car is too new. Some people observe that the fuel economy of a new car start out poor, but then gradually improves as the car breaks in.

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

I'll bet you drive a "foreign" car and the OP drives an "American" car. When the EPA numbers first started, I noticed that they were slanted in that way. I had thought they had brought them more in line so everyone was overestimated, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
clifto

the e p a estimates are fairly accurate on my cars, but there are so many variables

that enter into the equation when you want to get down to the nitty-gritty that

a compromised figure usually has to suffice, hoping it's in the ball park.

as mentioned; new cars, tire pressure, loading, tune-ups, gasoline integrity, summer / winter formulae, location / terrain, driving habits, oil viscosity, season, temperature / weather, and etc. all affect gasoline mileage to some extent.

Maybe a good way to test for gasoline mileage is to take a trip on an ideal day, set the speed control, and see what happens, mine usually is pretty close.

If you are driving a car with the mini-computer feature - a gasoline mileage figure is easier to come by.

Damn gas prices are ridiculous - too many cooks in the kitchen. From .05

- 2.50 in a

100 years.:--) And from 10 bucks a drum to 68 bucks a drum in less than 10 years.

I haven't been able to figure it out - for sure.

Does anyone care to give a reason for to-day's high gas prices?

mho vfe

Reply to
fiveiron

A 1998 Grand Am doesn't qualify as "foreign" does it? :)

Reply to
Jon C

I suppose not, though it's foreign to my sense of taste in cars. The absolute worst car I ever owned -- or even heard of -- was a 1971 Grand Prix.

Reply to
clifto

The EPA city estimates are for driving more like through a town than a city. The highway estimates are for a car driving 45mph. Yes, that's 45mph for the highway estimate.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Nor would my Dodge Neon. I get better than sticker. Of course, it is a stick shift, which means I can adjust shift points, etc. I suspect it is much rarer for auto cars to better EPA figures, but it certainly can be done for stick.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Mine's an auto as well :P

I'm the outlier I guess.