Gasohol Mileage versus Gas Mileage

Gasohol Mileage versus Gas Mileage...

Been doing some driving for vacation in a 2000 Chevy Malibu. I've been averaging 28 mpg for mostly freeway. Found a gas station that had alcohol free 91 octane so I filled up (had about 1/3 of a tank at the time) with it. On the next leg I got 32 mpg. That's a 14% increase in gas mileage!! Just by getting rid of most of the stupid alcohol in the gas. And all the experts say the higher octane fuel actually has less energy in it so if I could have found alcohol free

87 octane I'd have probably gotten even better gas mileage.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

one tank full means nothing. too many variables to have a compairason, unless you drove the same route the same day with the same conditions. A little wind can change it that much. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Who are these experts? Hexane, heptane, octane and nonane have very similar energy content, within 1% Ethanol is significantly less. In gasohol, the refineries would dump more heptane in, and the alkane mix would have pretty much the same energy content, but the ethanol would drag it down. What percentage of ethanol was the stuff you put in? For E10, the MPG would only be a few percent less.

Reply to
pedro1492