gasoline sitting for 18 months?

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a van that has been sitting for a year and a half. Assuming that the mechanical stuff gets fixed right (HA!), what about the gas? I've been told to drain the tank, because the gasoline has degraded -- but I don't know how to do it, nor where to dump (legally) the spoiled gas.

Is there another option? Can I just put a can of STP in the tank, and grit my teeth?

In case the details matter:

1989 Ford Econoline 150 fuel injectors We live in Wisconsin; this gas was sold in February 2005 and might have winter additives.

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

rudyxhiebert

I was told that any gasoline older than one month has "turned to varnish". I'm sure that's an overstatement, but I don't know what the truth about gas is.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

Depends how it was stored. If it was indoors it should be fine, though it'll stink when you get it running until you get fresh gas in it. Some of the thinner solvents will be gone from evaporation in the gas no matter how well it's been stored. Wisconsin winter gas (I'm in Fort Atkinson) would have had more of the thin stuff to evaporate since it's designed to be stored & used in cold temperatures. Summer gas has less solvents in it to make it less evaporative in summer heat. The old gas won't stop you from getting the van running all other things being the same, but it might make it harder to start or keep running decently if it's really marginal in the ignition or fuel delivery departments.

I'd throw in some injector cleaner to add some more thinning solvents to the old gas, and a can of HEET to get rid if some of the water that's probably condensed in the tank & fuel lines. Get a new fuel filter right off the bat too. If the ignition system is OK, that should be fine. Then make sure you use up that gas asap, and expect it to smell funny, get terrible mileage and run kinda crappy until you get something in there less than 18+ months old. ;)

Obviously, you're going to want to change the oil & filter as soon as you get it running since there's likely to be a bunch of water in the crankcase from condensation as well. The antifreeze should be OK for now, but maybe not for when it actually gets to below freezing around here.

Cheers, - JJ

Reply to
Keep YerSpam

I had a 1987 Nissan Stanza sit for 3 years with a nearly full tank of gas ...started it up, passed DEQ...no problems with the "old gas' whatsoever. I had a 1989 Dodge van sit for nearly two years, same result...with a 33 gal tank I had no interest in dumping the gas unless I had to. Now with my lawn mower or weed-whacker, if left sitting over the winter I happily dump the gas....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Reply to
willy

Thanks, everyone, for good and friendly advice.

Ted Shoemaker

Reply to
shoemakerted

A little more information on old gas