gasoline without mtbe

and with ethanol -

how is the ethanol factor going to affect the "dirty" fuel systems, initially, of automobiles?

mho v=83e

presently, a $1k more / year for gas - based on 12k miles of driving. Get involved.
Reply to
fiveiron

From what I've heard: Ethanol has an affinity for water and anything that might be dissolved or suspended in it. So, that little puddle of dirty water sitting at the bottom of your gas tank is going to dissolve in the gas-ethanol combination. By itself, this isn't a big problem (unless you have a fuel system that is susceptible to corrosion), but the it will take all the crud with it.

Best advice: be prepared to change a few gas filters when the change occurs.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

=3D=3D

sounds logical, not when, but has, runs ok,

not enough experience with it to tell, yet, will probably set a pattern, giving some ideas on what to expect.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

By the same token, MTBE helps water and gasoline mix, so there shouldn't be much of a difference with ethanol. I'd actually be worried if there was a puddle of separated water in the bottom of my tank. An unlubricated slug of water could be sucked into the fuel pump or injectors without lubrication. Even worse, it could freeze in low temps. Fuel line water remover/antifreeze usually contain alcohols, and they're commonly used without problems.

We haven't had MTBE in California for several years. Besides - up to 10% ethanol has been common in the midwest for years, and I haven't heard of too many problems.

Modern fuel systems aren't terribly subsceptible to corrosion. Even so, most gasline has inhibitors added to reduce pipeline and tank corrosion.

"Corrosion inhibitors are carboxylic acids and carboxylates. The facilities ? tanks and pipelines ? of the gasoline distribution and marketing system are constructed primarily of uncoated steel. Corrosion inhibitors prevent free water in the gasoline from rusting or corroding these facilities. Corrosion inhibitors are less important once the gasoline is in the vehicle. The metal parts in the fuel systems of today?s vehicles are made of corrosion-resistant alloys or of steel coated with corrosion-resistant coatings. More plastic and elastomeric parts are replacing metals in the fuel systems. In addition, service station systems and operations are designed to prevent free water from being delivered to a vehicle's fuel tank."

Reply to
y_p_w

Bigger concern is non-closed loop engines such as mowers, non-FI motorcycles, older cars that will run lean.

You go and re-jet for 10% ethanol, and then the fuel co's lobby to have the sticker on the pump removed so you can't even consistently get the

10% blend that you've re-jetted for.

Dammit.

Dave

Reply to