General Tire Question

(Not a question about "General TIres" - just a tire question in general!!) ;)

As tires wear down over the course of their life, can the ride given by them become harsher/rougher? Or does that have more to do with the aging of the tire rubber itself?

My question assumes all other things being equal - tire pressure within 2lbs of spec year round, yearly or as needed wheel alignments, minimal to no suspension wear, and moderate driving habits: few jack rabbit starts or sudden stops.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

______________ Hello?

Anyone?

I'm not asking how "Pitman Angle" is calculated here - just a simple tire question!

DO

TIRES

RIDE

ROUGHER

WITH

WEAR

OR

AGE

?
Reply to
ChrisCoaster

I doubt it. Don't know for sure, but the cord design, suspension design, and air pressure should count for much more than the amount of tread. Tread amount may change unsprung weight a bit, but I wouldn't think by that much.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Yes.

Not really, more to do with less of a rubber cushion and flex between the tread area and the internal belting and carcass of the tire.

Want an easy example. Smack your hand on a table. Now put on a thick glove and hit the same table. Notice the difference the extra material makes. Same thing with the tires.

YES.

Reply to
Steve W.

___________________ Thanks Steve W and Don. Much appreciated.

To M.M.: Ditch the attitude or keep off the boards. I asked a legitimate question and finally got a pair of good answers. Next time you type "plonk" in reply to a question here, do it in front of a MIRROR.

Peace.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster