Generic faultfinding, engine/ECM problem

Hi all,

Quick question, in the hope of some magic tips :)

I've got a 1998 Daewoo Lanos 1.6 (don't laugh) with the Holden (sp?) engine which I *believe* is basically a GM engine.

Anyway, it passed it's MOT (UK annual mandatory inspection) on Friday, with flying colours on the emissions, was fine on two journeys today, then, pam!, won't start - no attempt to try to fire. Sniffed the exhaust whilst cranking - no smell of petrol/gas, just fresh air. No, it hasn't run out of fuel, there's a good 7-8 gallons in the tank...

Engine check light on the dash is stuck on, so, after a quick run through the workshop manual, I conclude the ECM computer is unhappy with life. Cranks fine, oil pressure comes up quick, fuel pump runs for a bit as usual...

Given it's unhappiness to attempt to fire, I'm thinking that whatever static tests the ECM runs when the ignition is turned on, are failing.

I'm thinking possible causes are:

a) ECM buggered (ow, expensive, unless the local breakers yard has one).

b) One of the *many* sensors has suddenly failed. Or an injector solenoid or other actuator has failed.

c) Loose connection to sensor or possibly injectors or some other actuator (I don't know if all actuators are checked for basic loop continuity by the ECM? Anyone know?)

a) and b) would be a massive coincidence, to happen 1 day after an MOT, which was immediately preceeded by a service.

c) is not impossible - the guy may have knocked something... Of course, I'll phone him tomorrow, if he's in, but I'm going to have a look myself too.

Am I thinking along the right lines here? I'm planning to print off the schematics from the manual and get under it on Sunday and re-seat all of the connections to anything vaguely related to the fuel/ignition system.

Are there any useful static tests I could do with a multimeter, before I drag it off to the Vauxhall (GM, and now Daewoo, in the UK) mechanic for them to plug in a diagnostic tool? If I can get at the injector connections, I should be able to buzz those through at least...

Damn complicated modern cars - if it had points and a carb, I'd have either fixed it by now or have a pretty good idea what part to get... I used to rebuild carbs and tune my earlier (old knackered) cars by ear quite happily, but this thing is a nightmare to do anything on.

Many thanks for your advice :)

Cheers

Tim S (in the UK)

Reply to
Tim S

OT completely - but I had to add this...

Last time I was at my local GM/Vauxhall dealer in SE England, one thing caught my eye. They had the usual range of Vauxhalls and Daewoos, since GM bought out Daewoo cars a while back...

But - there was this funny little car, a cheap, small family run-around - obviously a Daewoo in style, but badged Chevrolet.

Chevvy's aren't mainstream in the UK, but even I know that this just seems wrong. I take it this disgraceful bit of badge-engineering isn't happening in the States? Are modern Chevvy's still "proper" cars over there?

Just curious...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Does Chevy /GM make a 'proper' car?

The Prizm isn't made by Chevrolet, I think, and SAAB is no longer a virginal SAAB.

Reply to
<HLS