GEO front spindle retention?

I have a '91 Geo that has almost 200k miles on it. Still runs great and I'm about to replace the front struts.

However, I have noticed a lot of play in the front end and especially on grooved highways. I thought that it was cause by worn front control arm bushings for maybe a bad ball joint.

I jacked it up today and did the Ole. "twist the tire from top to bottom and from side to side". Found plenty of play, but it is in the hub/spindle.

I looked into my Haynes book and it shows the disassembly etc., but I can't see what hold the wheel hub into the spindle housing (if that is the right term).

I know, I have to remove the shaft from the inside of the hub before I pull it off with a slide hammer. Is the shaft nut the only thing that holds the hub into the housing??.

In other words, could I have play in the bearings because the axle nuts aren't tight enough??

I can't believe that the press fit of the bearing races into the assembly is all that retains the hub. Hell, I have been removing axles and towing automatics for years, assuming something else was holding things together.

What have I missed. How can I take the play out of this or do I have to replace the bearings.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If they are the sealed units, you have to replace them. A slide hammer will sometimes blow an old one to pieces by the way.

And yes, take the axle out and the wheel can and will just fall off.

Some 'so called' Jeep mechanics did that to a friend of mine. They screwed up a U-joint replacement in a front axle by using a big hammer and bent things and just left the axle out and sent him on his way for a highway drive home. He made it home, went to park and the front wheel fell off....

Mike

Mike Romain