glass GBC fuses

A friend of mine asked me to take a peek at his car when his speedo went out. He mentioned the turn signal were also not working, so immedieately I thought of checking the fuses. I opened the fuse panel and started a visual check of the fuses. First thing I noticed is that the car had GBC fuses, cermaic torpedo looking things. They all looked good. I then tracked down the one for the turn signals and pulled it out for a closer inspecition. When I pulled it out one end was stuck in the socket and broke off. In order to get him home safely, this fuse also controlled his brake lamps, we pulled a high beam fuse of the same rating and put it in the socket. I recall these were on my '74 Fiat X1/9 and they were known to go bad in this fashion. I replaced all the ceramic ones with glass fuses that wouldn't have the same problem. I suggested my friend replace all of his ceramic fuses with glass ones. The problem is that none of the car parts places I have been to carry glass GBC fuses. They only carry the prone to failure ceramic ones. Anyone know of a source of glass GBC fuses?

----------------- Alex __O _-\

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Find a store that stocks Buss brand fuses -- their GBCs are glass.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

Buss still makes the glass ones, far as I know. Littelfuse has replaced the ceramic with plastic.

BTW, most cars that use this need the end clips retensioned and sometimes also need them cleaned of corrosion. I use to have a lot of problems on a Lancia until I carefully bent the clips and cleaned them with tuner cleaner.

|A friend of mine asked me to take a peek at his car when his speedo went |out. He mentioned the turn signal were also not working, so immedieately |I thought of checking the fuses. I opened the fuse panel and started a |visual check of the fuses. First thing I noticed is that the car had GBC |fuses, cermaic torpedo looking things. They all looked good. I then tracked |down the one for the turn signals and pulled it out for a closer inspecition. |When I pulled it out one end was stuck in the socket and broke off. In order to

|get him home safely, this fuse also controlled his brake lamps, we pulled a |high beam fuse of the same rating and put it in the socket. I recall these |were on my '74 Fiat X1/9 and they were known to go bad in this fashion. I |replaced all the ceramic ones with glass fuses that wouldn't have the same |problem. I suggested my friend replace all of his ceramic fuses with glass |ones. The problem is that none of the car parts places I have been to |carry glass GBC fuses. They only carry the prone to failure ceramic ones. |Anyone know of a source of glass GBC fuses? |----------------- |Alex __O | _-\

Reply to
Rex B

I had a few old rusty Volvos and a VW bug and had to clean and bend the tabs on all of them. I finally used a thin coat of dielectric grease on the tabs and they stayed good until I sold them.

Unless the glass replacements have brass or copper tips, you will get some electrolytic corrosion. Tried them once, they went bad again fast, but without the dielectric grease.

Same for the ceramic ones with lead ends, they corroded fast on the Volvo brass or copper tabs.

Mike

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain