Gm auto radio swap problems

I have been trying to do something that used to be so simple but in today's world it seems has become an exercise in futility. I own a

2000 Chevrolet express van which has a factory AM/FM radio installed. I would like to replace it with an equivalent AM/FM/cassette unit. I got the first one from the junk yard, installed it and found that the only thing it would do is display 12:00 for about 3 seconds each time power on is attempted. The second one was an AM/FM/cassette/CD radio. It does the same thing and in addition it has a small red blinking led on the front panel which blinks continuously. These radios are reasonably priced at 25.00 and 40.00 which is a far cry from dealer price for a new one. The dealer tells me that junk yard radios will not work as they go into theft mode as soon as you remove them from the vehicle. If that is so why didn't my original radio do this when I removed it and reinstalled it numerous times? And what about when the battery goes completely dead? They tell me that these radios have to be programmed for the vehicle that they are going into. Is this true or are they just trying to get 85.00 out of me for the programming? If there is in fact a compatibility problem can I reset the radio myself? I'm ready to pull the radio/cassete out of the 1990 I have sitting in the woods, custom install it in my 2000 and do away with all this bullshit. Can anyone please advise me further on this? thanks, Lenny
Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

The yard is sort of right. The radios from about 1997 and up are either VIN locked OR have anti-theft codes in them.

With a VIN locked radio the VIN code from the original vehicle is stored in the radios memory, when you connect it up the data buss looks at the BCM and the ECM data and finds the vehicles VIN number. It then compares that with the VIN stored in the radio. If they match your good, if they don't the radio won't work. To make these work you need to use a scan tool to access the stored VIN in the radio and change it to the VIN your vehicle has. This is the only way to make it work in the vehicle.

On units that have codes you will see the display come up LOCKED. With those you can get an unlock code through a dealer using the below process

  1. Press and hold presets 2 & 3 for about 10 seconds until the first 3 digits of the display code are displayed.
  2. Write the numbers down.
  3. Press the AM/FM button, write down the next 3 numbers.
  4. Call 1-800-537-5140, when asked, enter 202107,or 19-281, or 219055, press the # button and enter the 6 digit code from the radio, you will get an unlock code, write it down.
  5. Go back to the car, press the HR button and set the first 2 numbers, then press minute button and set the next two last numbers, press AM FM button, SEC should be displayed, turn on radio.

To remove customers code, repeat step 5. you should see --- on radio face, the code is now out of the radio.

Setting a code. Hold down 1 & 4 until --- appears then use the hr and min buttons to set a number between 0000-1999 then press am/fm, it will say rep then you reenter the code again hit am/fm again it should say sec meaning secure and then when ever the key is off the radio has a little blinking red led to warn possible thiefs

Reply to
Steve W.

Why not put an aftermarket sterero in?

Reply to
m6onz5a

bob

Reply to
bob u

I thought about the possibility of removing the eeprom but I would first have to buy the radio and then start screwing around with a circuit board that we don't know where this part is and I would not have a schematic for. I might actually pick on the wrong smt and then what? It's a long shot at best and seems like expense in time money and more frustration. I guess that I'll abandon this idea and just take the one out of my 1990. I know that I can simply apply 12V to it and it will come alive, like things were meant to. Thanks for all the information. It was a real education. Lenny.

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

I used to own a secondhand 1986 Ford Crown Victoria car.The car had an aftermarket Pioneer radio.The faceplate of the radio was made so as to snap on and snap off of the radio.Sort of theft proof, perse. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin
******** It is my understanding that some of these audio systems have rather complicated levels of security involved. It makes them all but worthless if stolen from the original owner.

I dont know any of the details, no longer have a GM.

They make them this way intentionally, I guess. If my info is correct, this is a heck of an irritating situation.

Reply to
hls

I bought a nice Eclipse on eBay for $30.

Seller didn't tell me what CD was the "key" CD...

Guess I'll have to buy a CD store...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B