Gm Delco alternator question

I have an alternator that has been checked out at the local Autozone, it passed...it's good. But I installed it in my car, A 1987 Firebird formula, and it doesn't charge. I disconnected the battery output and used a test light on the output, and nothing. There are 3 wires plugging into the alternator, I know the first wire is power, the second goes to an idiot light, where does the third wire go??

Reply to
CGBear

Right around that year, GM decided for some strange reason to flip the alternators plug's pins. One is the excite wire that 'turns on' the alternator. I would swap pin one and two in the white plug to see if that turns it on.

I have seen this happen a few times.

Mike

Mike Romain

I'm assuming that this is a 10SI, the third wire parallels the battery wire, it is there for remote voltage sensing. it should have +12V on it even when disconnected from the alt.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'm assuming that this is a 10SI, the third wire parallels the battery wire, it is there for remote voltage sensing. it should have +12V on it even when disconnected from the alt.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Should the alternator still charge even if the wires aren't hooked to the regulator? Or do you have to have one wire with power going to the regulator?

Reply to
CGBear

You need all 3 wires hooked up. That is the reason they put 3 wires on it.

One feeds the battery power, one senses voltage level and one 'excites' or turns on the alternator's magnetic field.

Folks can make pretty good trail arc welders by bypassing the regulator on those alternators..... I sure wouldn't want that feeding my battery or electronics.

Mike

Mike Romain

I got a wiring schematic from a buddy that has the Alldata programs. It rained a bit today so I'll hopefully get it figured out tomorow morning. Thank you for your input.

Reply to
CGBear

Just remember they switched pin one and pin two on the smaller plastic plug in the mid 80's. Hooking it wrong won't hurt anything, it just won't charge.

You can even see the pin numbers stamped on the case and on the plug.

Mike

CGBear wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain