GM Engine mount removal

Vehicle: 2000 Pontiac G.A. 3.4

I've got to replace my serpentine belt and on my vehicle and I've got to move the engine mount bolts on one side so I can get the belt on. It looks as though there are 2 different sets of bolts on the same mount that could come off. There is the top set and the set on the chasis side of the same mount. It's not easy to look at this mount and see which set to unbolt to lift the engine a little.

I'm also wondering if there is a safer way to hoist the engine than using a block of wood under the oil pan.

Thanks

MB

Reply to
MAB

Just unbolt the small aluminum piece that connects the engine mount sitting on the body to the bracket bolted to the front of the engine. It's quite simple once you have the engine supported.

That's as safe a way as any. I use a block of wood all the time to support the engine. I'd suggest that you get one long enough so that when you jack, you are not just jacking on the engine, but the engine pan "and" the trans pan. This will keep the engine and trans assembly from wanting to roll back towards the firewall when you remove the mount.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai